Cutting drywall for repipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Tally Wacher

Reaction score
So what is the general consensus on how to make drywall cuts to stub out at toilet and under sinks when repiping? Would you make the cut to include the old stub out (below), exclude (above), or cutting to the middle of the exit hole on the piece of drywall that you are removing?

If I'm using the plastic drop ear bend supports to stub out do I notch the wood that it is attached to or the drywall that goes over it to make things flush?

Last edited by a moderator:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I would make the size and placement of the cutout wherever it would make working on the pipes easiest. I try to center the cuts on a stud if possible so I can reinstall the cutout piece with least amount of fuss. The drop-ears should be attached to the side of the stud not the face - so I don't know what you mean about notching the stud.

Reaction score
I have no idea what you are trying to explain, it may be a good idea if you can add a pic to tell us what you want to do. Can use pieces of tape or post-its to marks areas you want to talk about.

Generally if there is no cabinets in the way, you can cut drywall however you feel like, because it'll be repaired with drywall just the same, more forgiving if you're going to tile over it. Drywall is always easier to repair in larger pieces.
EditorItem_34898_5_6923.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When finished, that picture above would require nail plates to protect all of the pipes since they are not in the middle of the studs. Never trust the drywall guys to miss your pipes! At least make it hard for them to put a screw in them.

If your desired stubout is not near a stud, put in a cross brace and screw your drop-ear el into that, then all you need is a nice round simple hole in the wall for the pipe to exit.

Mike Garrod

Mike G
Reaction score
When finished, that picture above would require nail plates to protect all of the pipes since they are not in the middle of the studs. Never trust the drywall guys to miss your pipes! At least make it hard for them to put a screw in them.

If your desired stubout is not near a stud, put in a cross brace and screw your drop-ear el into that, then all you need is a nice round simple hole in the wall for the pipe to exit.
Lol. Drywallers. Sometimes it's truly unbelievable how clueless and careless they are. Nail plates are not needed if you have a drywaller who isn't a retard, but I'm not sure if that exists.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Lol. Drywallers. Sometimes it's truly unbelievable how clueless and careless they are. Nail plates are not needed if you have a drywaller who isn't a retard, but I'm not sure if that exists.
They are if you want your installation to pass code, at least in the USA.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks