Users who are viewing this thread

Dan Morey

Reaction score
I'm scrapping my mortarbed shower pan plans for one of these foam setups - much like Kerdi/Schluter. However, I'm wondering if i can just build my own rather than buying into their whole system. My shower is uniquely sized and the drain is off-center - so no kit fits perfectly.

I'm thinking of using this: https://www.prosourcecenter.com/product/1214/noble-shower-pro-slope/c461/
on top of subfloor to for the slope. Then laying my rubber membrane over it.

On top of that, can I custom fit this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/GAF-Ener...cyanurate-Insulating-Sheathing-1S03/300152270
over the membrane, then laying down thinset for tile? It seems pretty darn dense.

What's the difference in the polyiso and the foam shower pan kits? I still plan on using their waterproofing tape/sheets to seal everything off.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IMHO, you're asking for troubles...

If you choose to use a foam pan, you would be best served to use a bonded membrane shower drain, and the single layer. If I remember, Laticrete or maybe it was Mapei, will custom make a foam pan any size you want in about 2-week turnaround. But, by far, the least expensive way to do this is to make your own out of deckmud and then use a sheet membrane to waterproof it to a compatible drain assembly. Industry standards call for the walls to also be covered with that membrane in addition to just the pan, at least up to the height of the showerhead. IOW, you can't just do the pan. When doing a conventional, liner type shower, since you can't put any fasteners below 2" above the top of the curb...that means you can't screw the bottom of the wall board down...the best way to anchor it is to lock it in place with a mudbed on top of the liner...foam wouldn't provide the same support.

If you were really handy and had a router, you could make a jig and mill your own in any size you wanted, but the jig would likely end up costing you more in either time or money than having one made for you. Well, maybe if you did it in four pieces, which would have four individual flat slopes verses trying to change across each side. All of the foam pans that I'm aware of utilize extruded polystyrene that is pretty dense.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks