CPVC Connection to the T&P Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Tintin

Reaction score
I live in Portland and CPVC is fine to use for the T&P valve drain pipe. What is the best connector to get to go from CPVC to the valve on my electric water heater? Thank you!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is the fitting on the T&P valve threaded, or solder? There are transitions available to CPVC for either. While it may be okay where you live, because the ID of the CPVC is smaller than say copper...it could be an issue...plus, the water could be nearly boiling, and that exceeds the temperature of most CPVC piping, IMHO, it's not a great idea, even if they allow it. CPVC can also get brittle as it ages.

Tintin

Reaction score
Is the fitting on the T&P valve threaded, or solder? There are transitions available to CPVC for either. While it may be okay where you live, because the ID of the CPVC is smaller than say copper...it could be an issue...plus, the water could be nearly boiling, and that exceeds the temperature of most CPVC piping, IMHO, it's not a great idea, even if they allow it. CPVC can also get brittle as it ages.
I have CPVC drain pipe coming from the wall, so that's what I have to work with, so I can't change that out.

Tintin

Reaction score
The T&P will have female threads. A male adapter is what you need for that.
It be a 3/4" CPVC male adapter and that will connect to the T&P, correct? Or is it some kind of transition adapter made from something else?

Tintin

Reaction score
CPVC Male Adapter.jpg
Male Adapter.jpg

Which of these two types would you use?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I prefer the metal/plastic version...plastic threads are a weak point.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks