CPVC Ball Shutoff Valve Stuck

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by rwbil, Feb 16, 2020.

1. rwbil

rwbil Member

Whoever invented CPVC ball shutoff valves should be fired. Pretty much every time I need to shut one off it is stuck.

Just tried to shut one off to the hot water and of course it would not turn and I ended up breaking off the ears, so had to shut the water to the house off.

How does one un-stick these valves?? Cannot bang on old CPVC due to its brittleness.

Yes I know it should be swapped for a brass ball valve, but right now just want to un-stick this one if possible.

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Many of us plumbers won't touch them anymore. If they turn easily, then maybe. Most of the time it's better to shut off at the meter.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Semi-Retired
    The same problem can happen with bypass valves on water softeners. I really cringe if the valve takes a lot of effort to move. Unlike a traditional inline ball valve that is easily replaced with locally sourced parts, the bypass valves are specialized and may not be something that can be substituted.