CPVC Ball Shutoff Valve Stuck

Users who are viewing this thread

Rwbil

Reaction score
Whoever invented CPVC ball shutoff valves should be fired. Pretty much every time I need to shut one off it is stuck.

Just tried to shut one off to the hot water and of course it would not turn and I ended up breaking off the ears, so had to shut the water to the house off.

How does one un-stick these valves?? Cannot bang on old CPVC due to its brittleness.

Yes I know it should be swapped for a brass ball valve, but right now just want to un-stick this one if possible.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Many of us plumbers won't touch them anymore. If they turn easily, then maybe. Most of the time it's better to shut off at the meter.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The same problem can happen with bypass valves on water softeners. I really cringe if the valve takes a lot of effort to move. Unlike a traditional inline ball valve that is easily replaced with locally sourced parts, the bypass valves are specialized and may not be something that can be substituted.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks