Copper slip coupling. Does this look right to you?

Users who are viewing this thread

deskdiver

Reaction score
So I had a plumber came out to replace a valve and adjacent pipe. After the guy’s done I held up the old section of pipe+valve and realized the new pipe is only inserted 1/4” into the slip coupling. Couldn’t stop thinking about it so I ended up taking everything out and redone the work on my own... was I right to be concerned?

Thanks in advance!

BC09FD0F-3572-4CE5-A0E1-AC878CD2F35D.jpeg
97F9848A-C831-45E7-B50A-818D38F10132.jpeg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You did the right thing.
There are two types of couplings: With stop and without stops.
I always use couplings with stops, where the stops are at the center. This way the pipes go in half the length of the coupling each.
Couplings without stops are used for certain situations only. Your case was not one of them.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The repair coupling could have been used in the correct situation , they were making some form of repair. we dont have enough information to throw the plumber under the bus for that alone.

However, the pipe should have been inserted to the halfway point, equal on both sides. If I'm doing that style of fitting and maybe I've got to work quick, I mark the point where the fitting needs to stop somewhere that I can see.

Without any stress on the joint it probably would have never had any issues ever.. but it should be fully inserted.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are long CxC repair couplings which can be cut to length, if that would make things easier.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
REpair couplings do not have a center stop, but the only time you need one of those is if the pipes cannot be slid apart to insert them into the coupling. Even then, you should try to get it centered on the joint. Otherwise, you want to always slide the pipe into the center stop. There's nothing wrong with using a repair coupling, and I suppose it could save on inventory.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
agree totaly with tuttles revenge using the coupling wasent "wrong" but he might not had noticed and in advertantly didnt center it. When i use a repair coupling i mark the pipe with my tiny tim saw putting a scratch near end of coupling. also agree a good solder joint would have been fine but im not 100 percent comfortable with the fit up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks