Copper pipe is 17mm OD

Users who are viewing this thread

billman5000

Reaction score
Ran into this while doing some DIY repairs on a house built in 1949, which was built with under-slab plumbing and under-slab runs to radiators. I found that some of the copper water supply pipe (not radiator) was too fat to accept normal 1/2" fittings. After going completely mentally blank from confusion, I checked it against a 17mm metric wrench, it's a very good fit as shown in the pic. My theory is the builder had some 17mm in stock and used it. Does this theory make sense?

Needless to say this a major pain! Thank you.

Attachments

• 17mm pipe.png
    17mm pipe.png
    133.5 KB · Views: 365

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe swage up to solder into some 3/4 K copper pipe?
Maybe swage a 1/2 inch coupling up enough to get over that pipe?

Maybe solder into some " 5/8" copper pipe? Type L is 0.668 inch ID (16.967 mm) and adapt from there?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_tubing

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"Threaded copper pipe"? Ridiculous, maybe IPS brass, but NEVER copper. If he had some 17 mm in stock, he would have needed a bunch of fittings for it, and WHY would he do that? He would have even greater problems finding "5/8 i.d. fittings".

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
1/2" copper pipe is 5/8" OD...the ID varies based on the wall thickness, but the outside stays the same so you can use 'standard' fittings.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe the cutter pushed up a ridge larger in diameter than the internal size of the fitting, preventing the pipe from seating in the fitting. You may need to dress that cut before you fit it. If it's K copper, it could be a little more difficult to work with, but I don't see any reason why standard size fittings would not work for you.

Y'all using the metric system up there in Indiana now?

billman5000

Reaction score
I can't explain it but appreciate the feedback. I have a 4' hunk of straight copper 17mm pipe in the garage. I emoried a section, it's copper. It's 17mm throughout the length. I have no idea how on earth one would connect it to anything. It's just weeeeeird. I'm gonna bite the bullet and hire a plumber to pex me up. I've had 2 pinhole leaks in copper supply - plus a soldered copper (h0t water) connection that came apart - in 12 years. Pipe is 70 years old now, I know it lasts almost forever. A real plumber can work > 10x faster than me and put an end to this nonsense.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"...and put an end to this nonsense."

Not always, PEX has its share of chronic troubles.
Choose your plumber and materials carefully.

Like the old saying: "Escaping fire , falling into deep water".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks