Copper deburring question

Users who are viewing this thread

Jakester

Reaction score
Question, how do you guys deburr copper pipes in tight spaces? I wanted to install spark bite 1/4 turn valves in my vanity, I cut my stub out and went to deburr the copper pipe with the shark bite deburring tool like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-Safe-Seal-Depth-and-Pipe-Deburring-Tool-U702A/100638148 but my pipe is to close to the wall and the deburr tool only goes about 1/2 around the pipe and deburrs a part of the pipe. I don't feeling comfortable using a shark bite valve with a 1/2 deburred pipe. How can I deburr it all the way around?

I can smooth it out with sandpaper but since I used the shark bite dedurring tool it beveled half the edge of the pipe and I am afraid that if half the pipe edge is beveled and the other half isn't the o-ring on the shark bite might not have a tight connection and leak or am I overthinking this?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
In very tight spades I use a very fine hacksaw blade to prevent burrs

I would be more concerned about deburring the inside of the tubing to prevent erosion

Reach4

Reaction score
Question, how do you guys deburr copper pipes in tight spaces? I wanted to install spark bite 1/4 turn valves in my vanity, I cut my stub out and went to deburr the copper pipe with the shark bite deburring tool like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-Safe-Seal-Depth-and-Pipe-Deburring-Tool-U702A/100638148 but my pipe is to close to the wall and the deburr tool only goes about 1/2 around the pipe and deburrs a part of the pipe. I don't feeling comfortable using a shark bite valve with a 1/2 deburred pipe. How can I deburr it all the way around?

I can smooth it out with sandpaper but since I used the shark bite dedurring tool it beveled half the edge of the pipe and I am afraid that if half the pipe edge is beveled and the other half isn't the o-ring on the shark bite might not have a tight connection and leak or am I overthinking this?
The o-ring is not right at the tip. Only bevel/smooth the edge. If you tilt your sandpaper, you can limit the abrasive action to the part near the end of the pipe.

Jakester

Reaction score
The copper pipe goes past the o-ring, that makes sense. Last night I did use a brush like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-4-in-1-Fitting-Brush-80-717-111/204258915 on the inside and outside of the copper pipe, would that be an issue for sharkbite? After I brushed the pipe installed sharkbite end caps/plugs after words and didn't see any leaks.

End caps will be on for a day or two until I get the valves installed.

Reach4

Reaction score
The copper pipe goes past the o-ring, that makes sense. Last night I did use a brush like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-4-in-1-Fitting-Brush-80-717-111/204258915 on the inside and outside of the copper pipe, would that be an issue for sharkbite?
I would not use that as prep for a Sharkbite. It think that tool is to rough up the inside of fittings, and not to smooth the inside of a pipe. I am not a plumber.

If you used that inside of a pipe, that is not going to interfere with the Sharkbite, since the Sharkbite works with the outside of a pipe.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
What tool did you use to cut the copper with? If you used a tight quarters tubing cutter, chances are its already Chamfered enough to slip on a sharkbite style fitting. If you cut it with a hacksaw, then you definately want to chamfer / bevel the leading edge of the tube.

Emery cloth stretched taught with both hands at each side back n forth at 45-30° angle should take the sharp edge off the outside perimeter of the copper stubouts. A razor knife scraped/dragged backwards at those angles also will bevel a copper stub out since copper is quite a bit softer than steel..

Yes you should be concerned about the o-ring seal of a sharkbite style connection.

Jakester

Reaction score
I did use a close quarters tube cutter to cut off the stubout ends. I used wire brush on the pipe and totally didn’t think that was a mistake until after the fact. I currently have sharkbites end plugs on the pipes and no leaks.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The tubing cutter probably deformed the copper in the exact shape that you need for a sharkbite to not be abraded. A bit of wire brush on the surface probably won't harm it either. You would have to have gotten some deep grooves in the outside surface to cause a problem.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Not sure I understand what you mean by this. Can you please explain?

When piping has a burr inside it causes friction losses and and copper tubing especially can have erosion because of the burr causing turbulence (excessive velocity)

A fine tooth hacksaw blade will cut the tubing without leaving a burr outside or inside

Personally I would rather use a flare joint or even a compression rather than shark bite 5/8 OD Compression X Male or Female

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That brush you linked is to clean up copper fittings and pipe so you can properly solder things. The scratches it can leave aren't an issue when soldering and will help the joint, brushing away any corrosion and leaving bright, clean metal that solder likes to flow onto. They could make it tougher for the O-ring to seal on a Sharkbite fitting where you really want the surface to be smooth. Probably not an issue at all, but in the extreme, it could be if it left any deeper scoring.

DaveHo

Reaction score
I use a tool like this. It's more compact than the sharkbite tool.

imperial-reaming-tools-208f-64_1000.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Imperia...D-Tubing-Reamer-Deburring-Tool-208F/301044486

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks