IL/Chicago area: Is Shark Bite end fitting for a copper pipe up to code? where to check in the code?

Users who are viewing this thread

Erik1776

Reaction score
Hi
I understand every local code is different but I have a capped copper sink pipe that is 1" too long to fit a new kitchen sink.
I am not 100% sure what it is for, maybe act as a hammer arrester or some kind of venting?

I am wondering if I could cut it shorter and use this type of Shark Bite end stop fitting:
Where in the plumbing code would I be able to check if I can use shark bite type end fitting like the one below?

IMG_20230915_122304771.jpg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Sharkbites are listed approved and accepted pretty much everywhere.
Some idiot installed those 'air chambers' as they were known as, not knowing that the air is readily absorbed by the water in a short time frame and thus, WORTHLESS.
What is code is to have water hammer arrestor on lines with solenoid valves, so Dishwasher stubs do need protection with a water hammer arrestor.
You can cut those stupid air chambers down low and properly install a sharkbite or put a water hammer arrestor on it.
They make many varieties.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would not say worthless. I expect the air lasts a few months, but I may well be wrong.

We would all agree that cutting those, and putting a captive air water hammer arrestor is the best thing to do.

So https://www.acehardware.com/departments/plumbing/pipe-fittings/push-fittings/4792842 is similar to a SharkBite push connector on a water hammer arrestor. I don't know if it is OK with Chicago code. I would guess no. But it probably would not be noticed.

You can also get arrestors that can be soldered or "pressed". For under $200 you can get a kit that will do press, including Propress, and also crimp PEX rings. This is a hand hydraulic tool. For less, you can find kits for just the copper press without including PEX ring crimping. I am pretty sure that Chicago code allows copper press fittings.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks