Connecting 2 low yield wells into a 300gal reservoir and controlling with a single float switch

Users who are viewing this thread

tirepro

Reaction score
New user here.....I recently stumbled across this forum while searching for solutions to my low yield wells. The many posts on this subject have been very informative, thank you.
My current setup consists of two artesian wells. The older 250ish foot deep well uses a 115v, 5a, 1/2hp 2 wire pump. The newer 500ish foot well uses a 230v, 10a, 1.5hp 3 wire pump. Neither well produces more than 1.5gpm on a good day. They are each controlled individual pressure switched, each wired through Pumptecs and combine to supply a single 20gal? pressure tank.

I purchased a 300gal poly tank which I want to use as a reservoir fed by both well pumps, controlled by a single float switch and managed by existing Pumptecs.

Option 1:
Maintain current setup but divert house supply into the 300gal tank controlled by a float switch and solenoid valve. From there, install a 115v jet pump, check valve and pressure switch that would feed an additional, second pressure tank which would supply the house.

Option 2:
Pump water from both wells combined through a check valve and dump directly into the 300gal tank. I would then replace both pump pressure switches with relays controlled by a single 110v float switch. Both well pumps would still be managed by the Pumptecs, but switched by the float. Now, the jet pump can feed the original pressure tank which would supply the house.

Option 2 looks more attractive to me for it's simplicity. Also, it may extend the life of the submersible pumps if they are just filling a reservoir instead of having to pressurize the tank.

Can 2 separate relays (both 115v and 230v circuits) be controlled by a single float? Any recommendations on what relays to use and how this would be wired? Is there a better plan to accomplish what I'm looking for?
I would greatly appreciate any helpful advice.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Just use a relay with a couple of normally open contacts. One set of contacts for the 230V pump and another dry contact for the 115V pump. Here is a drawing with a wiring diagram for the relay, you just need and extra dry set of contacts.
LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Square D 8910DPA23V02 is a 25 amp 3-pole contactor with a 120 vac coil. You can switch two hots with two of the poles for the big pump and one hot for the smaller pump.

There are others.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks