Concerns regarding new whirlpool tub installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeffcw11

Reaction score
About a year ago we had water damage in our master bathroom that required a remodel. As part of the remodel, we purchased a whirlpool tub from carver tubs. In the instructions that came with the tub, it says to place the tub in a mortar bed, covered with a plastic sheet. Additionally, it says to not stand in or place water into the tub prior to the mortar bed curing as this may create a small air pocket after the load is removed which can lead to microcracking and voiding of the warrantee. After the plumber finished, he said he had put water in the tub up to the level of the jets to test them and to settle it into the quickrete that he used as the mortar bed. I pointed out the part in the instructions that said not to and he said that this is how he has always done it as a master plumber for 23 years and that he stands by his work. I also noticed that he didn't put plastic between the tub and the mortar as it instructs. Again, he said he never has done that and doesn't think it will be a problem. Then I noticed that the mortar doesn't support the entire floor of the tub (the back 1/4 is without mortar, see pictures). Are any of these deal breakers and will they cause issues down the road?
20220127_171417.jpg
Water in the tub.
20220127_173146.jpg
No plastic between mortar and tub.
20220127_173214.jpg
No mortar under back 1/4 of tub.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
If he stands by his work create a document that makes him liable for the same amount of time that thre manufacturer provides, have him sign it.

Then sleep tight knowing that if it cracks he'll by you a new one and fix any damage.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is why I read instructions. Even on valves or assemblies I've installed many many times. Just to be sure I know what I know. I don't understand people who are so confident in things like this. I'm not even confident I'm sitting in my chair right now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks