Complete gut on Bathroom remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

mshoneybee

Reaction score
W are renovating a 1930s house. All the pipes were replaced with copper 7 years ago when we were redoing the kitchen. All bathroom fixtures remained where they were due to a number of factors (yes I know it would have been easier/cheaper to do it then....)

Now we are finally ready to redo the bathrooms but I need some info to plan -- are toilet and shower drains the same type - as in can I move the toilet to where the bath drain was and vice versa? The layout of the downstairs bath (crawl space below) and the upstairs bath (floor is currently out) is just idiotic. What were they thinking? I just have no idea what it will involve and cost to move things around. Any advice/suggestions?
Thanks!
Melissa

R

Rancher

mshoneybee said:
are toilet and shower drains the same type - as in can I move the toilet to where the bath drain was and vice versa?
I doubt if the shower was plumbed with 3" pipe, so no, but you could plumb the shower into where the toilet was located, and re-plumb the drain where the shower was with the correct size.

Rancher

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Basically, a toilet requiress either a 3 or 4" drain line. A tub uses 1.5", a dedicated shower 2". The trap for the toilet is IN the toilet. Essentially, all otherthings that drain require a trap. All need to be vented for health and safety reasons. Whether it is easy or hard to do will depend on the current layout, clearances, and willingness to tear things up to make the changes. It could be easy, it could be a bear...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks