comode installation on concrete

Users who are viewing this thread

Pugbro

Reaction score
Recently acquired a home with a stubbed in bath in the full basement. I would like to install a comode and sink in this bath. I have never attempted an installation like this. I have installed a couple that were installed on a wooden floor....How do you attach the comode to the concrete floor?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What size is the pipe for the toilet? If it is 4" ID and plastic, then you can cement in a toilet flange. It will have the normal anchors to hold the toilet, and you should anchor the ring of the flange to the floor. Note, the flange is designed to install on TOP of the FINISHED flooring. The flange will accept the bolts to hold the toilet, then, typically, you caulk around the front 3/4 of the base, which both seals it and helps to hold it in place as well.

If the ID of the pipe is 3", then you need to crack some concrete so you can install a flange around the outside of the pipe.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are a couple of ways to anchor a flange (or anything else) to concrete. Some folks prefer Tapcon bolts, and they do work. To my way of thinking however, they are sometimes difficult to install. I drill a 5/16 hole in the concrete with a rotary hammer drill then 3/8 lead sleeves into the holes. Then #12 sheet metal screws into the sleeves. For a toilet, I use stainless steel screws. In addition to toilet flanges, I have attached 2x4s to floors and walls, electric outlet boxes, and pipe clamps this way and have never had any of these come loose.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks