Clawfoot supply tubes not vertical

Users who are viewing this thread

DaveM

Reaction score
I’m installing a new clawfoot tub with tub wall mounted faucets. The tub wall shape is not plumb/vertical so when the faucets are installed (3-3/8” centers) the chrome faucet couplers that pass through the tub wall are are angled down slightly. The issue is when the double offset chrome supply tubes are connected to the faucet couplers the supply tubes are not plumb/vertical, rather they angle inward toward the tub noticeably. Obviously the supply tubes need to be perfectly plumb to drop down and meet the supply stops properly at the floor. Are there angled faucet couplers that are used to compensate for this? This angle issue must be a common thing and I wouldn’t think reshaping the supply tubes should be necessary. I hope I’m explaining this OK. What’s the fix? Thanks.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The tubes are generally plated soft copper tube depending on the manufacture and finish color. So bending them is what is done to mate them up with their supply valves. A spring bender is what I would use to make a gentle offset and not kink the tubes.

DaveM

Reaction score
Thanks Tuttle, I’ve come to that same conclusion too. The supply tubes are chrome on either copper or brass. I do have a lever type tubing bender that will bend 1/2-inch without kinking. Makes me wonder though if most clawfoot tub walls are sloped why they would even make a rigid supply tube that will wind up not being vertical to the floor and state in their installation instructions that any bending or reshaping of the tubes will void any warranty. I don’t see what else you could do but bend them. If I bend them up near the top as close to the second offset bend as possible I should be able to keep the rest of the length nice and straight so that they look nice. I’ll make every attempt to bend them in the right plane so they still land 8 inches on center.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah.. no idea why they would state no bending when its clear it isn't possible to no do it. A lever bending tool is good if you have the correct size. and understand how to work away from the busniness end of the tube.. like not getting the flared end stuck in the bender. From my experience if the tube is drawn brass, it won't bend without filling the tube with sand first it will simply snap in half. I only recall polished brass and some other finish being done with brass tube, while everything else was done on soft copper.

DaveM

Reaction score
A little research tells me they are chrome on brass. Made by Kingston Brass. Not sure if those will bend without cracking or not. I read that brass can be heated to soften it before bending but I bet that would discolor the chrome. I’ve bent plenty of copper tubing but have no experience with brass. The bends I need to make would be very slight, maybe only 4 or 5 degrees. Just enough to get the tubes to point straight down to the floor.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its been a long long time since I've broken a brass tube and just as long as I've bent one at all.. and I think the solution was to only make very slight bends, with the tube full of very fine sand.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks