Down force drain tube replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

JeffNC

Reaction score
We've got a freestanding tub that came with a down force drain kit. The plumbing has already been installed awhile ago, and a tile floor installed. Time to put in the tub, and alas the drain tube has been lost. It was brass. The tub company has so far been unresponsive/unhelpful.

I found some replacement parts that I think should fit. I'll have to cut the length of the tube, but otherwise I think the parts are replacements. The issue I'm having is that the tube won't fit into the floor drain gasket. What I'm guessing is that the original tube has a slight bevel or taper at the bottom which would have aided in installation.

Is there a way to achieve that, or simply buy a tube made for down force drains?

downforcedrain1.jpg
downforcedrain2.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
homedepot: "MAAX F2 Drain ABS Kit for Freestanding Bathtub Installation". Is this what you need?

Last edited:

JeffNC

Reaction score
homedepot: "MAAX F2 Drain ABS Kit for Freestanding Bathtub Installation". Is this what you need?

No, I already have the kit, in fact it's already installed in the floor. The down tube has been lost. It's a standard tube except for the bevel at the bottom.

JeffNC

Reaction score
need to lube it up . the tailpiece is radiused with a dull edge on the proper tailpiece so be careful with that one

I understand that, the lube came with the kit. I don't understand the rest of your comment. I'm looking for a tailpiece with a taper or bevel on it like the one in the kit, or how to accomplish that with a standard tail piece.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I understand that, the lube came with the kit. I don't understand the rest of your comment. I'm looking for a tailpiece with a taper or bevel on it like the one in the kit, or how to accomplish that with a standard tail piece.
Been doing this a long time but only done a few tubs this way. I used one in the kit.
Never had to search for one with the specialy formed end.
take a grinder or file to it and bevel but also roll the edge and put a lot of lube on it.
I guess I may not understand you its impossibble to insert the tail piece at this time?
If youve tried locating and cant find it I doubt I can eithert

JeffNC

Reaction score
Been doing this a long time but only done a few tubs this way. I used one in the kit.
Never had to search for one with the specialy formed end.
take a grinder or file to it and bevel but also roll the edge and put a lot of lube on it.
I guess I may not understand you its impossibble to insert the tail piece at this time?
If youve tried locating and cant find it I doubt I can eithert

Well, I don't know if it's impossible, but I can see it's starting to cut and tear at the gasket if I push too hard. Lubing won't help that. I think you're right about grinding it, that might be my only option at this point. Can you tell me more about how to roll the edge?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jeff NC , I dont know how to roll that edge I know my instructions said dont cut the tube heat up a all brass tube and turn under with pliars and then dress off the sharp edge with a dremel , might be able to get a decent end on it that way

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
A dull tubing cutter will create the bevel you need. Or applying too much force while starting the tubing cutter.

But essentially the part is called a Flanged Extension Tail Piece. Can be brass or plastic.

JeffNC

Reaction score
A dull tubing cutter will create the bevel you need. Or applying too much force while starting the tubing cutter.

But essentially the part is called a Flanged Extension Tail Piece. Can be brass or plastic.

If you mean the part they start with before rounding it down at the factory, yes, I already have one of those and that's how I know it won't fit. I very much doubt it can be plastic because of the potential stresses put on it during installation. No down force drains come with a plastic tailpiece.

I don't have a tubing cutter let alone a dull one, I don't know if that's something the box stores provide as a service, I can check....

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The few I seen were rough brass. with a rounded edge . only installed one and I used the one that came with it really no reason not too unless you lose it. Try doing something Im out of suggestions . Tuttles came up with an idea but scratch that you dont have a cutter. Kinda disappointing you would think if you spent an hour or 8 looking youd find a new tailpiece heve it shipped to house by now. mine fit real tight I used a lot of lube and no problem

JeffNC

Reaction score
You can buy a replacement tube for $50... comes with all the extra parts you don't need.

EBAY
If I get desparate I might go that route. They don't show the tailpiece but it seems to be this one. Crazy price difference.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks