Choosing the right bathtub, enclosure and valve for a rental

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmk9785e

Reaction score
I need to replace a fiberglass tub (with a patched hole) and enclosure at a rental property. While it's open, might as well replace the valve and trim. Wish to install something durable that will last 5+ years. Two options I'm considering are:
1- Fiberglass or acrylic tub and surround,
2- Cast Iron tub and quartz panels.

Any recommendations for materials, make and model of the tub and valve that can take abuse of a rental property?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Either of those will work. The key to longevity on a fiberglass and most acrylic tubs is to ensure the bottom is well supported. Flex on many eventually causes stress fractures. So, the instructions on many of them call for setting the tub in mortar. Seams on the 3-4 piece tubs and surrounds expect plumb and square walls to work well without gaps when you put things together, so that may take some extra work to get right, and either type of tub really needs to be set so the top is level so water drains properly, and that may take some extra care. The built-in slopes only work if the top is leveled.

CI is the strongest. The tub in the house I grew up in is now about 65-years old. While the finish is pitted from aggressive use of older, really abrasive cleanser, it doesn't have a touch of rust and is still solid and workable. Had it been cleaned with more modern substances, it could still look like new. That will never be true of fiberglass or acrylic tubs.

I'd probably pick a Delta tub/shower valve for a rental, but that's personal. Many people like Moen, some Phister, and I also like Grohe (which I have in my home).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks