Choosing shower control valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmk9785e

Reaction score
I'm about to redo the shower enclosure and am thinking of replacing the 15 years old control valve. We would like to be able to control both the water volume & temperature and optionally have a handheld shower wand with its own shutoff.
Recommendations for valve and trim are appreciated.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Delta R10000. When you say control the volume you mean turn it down? The volume will only go up to 2.5 gpm nowadays.

r10000-un.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, that's what I meant. The ability to turn down or close the shower without changing the hot/cold mix temperature.
Can you say why you'd like to turn down the volume on the shower? A lot of people like more than 2.5, not many want less. Are are your going for something special?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Read my tutorial in that section on 'Why I like thermostatically controlled valves". There are basically three classes of valves, and two of them will give you a volume control. As the title implies, I prefer the thermostatically controlled valves, but the other type is cheaper.

I like it because it allows you to 'dribble' the water in the shower until everything warms up before the full spray means getting in could have it going everywhere, or you'll have that cold shot before things warm up. A single-handle valve is either full on or full off and always progressively goes from cold to hot. WIth a volume control, you're just adjusting the volume, not the temperature. Some of the temperature control knobs are calibrated, so different people can quickly and easily set it to their preference. A thermostatically controlled valve will be the same season-to-season...just a mixing temperature control valve's lever will change by the season, and often, as the tank empties.

The Delta R10000 rough-in valve can be fitted with all three types. Delta sells their trim and rough-in as separate items except where some big-box stores package them together, giving you fewer choices. A plumbing supply shop generally will have them as separate items. Some other companies do similar things.

Rmk9785e

Reaction score
Can you say why you'd like to turn down the volume on the shower? A lot of people like more than 2.5, not many want less. Are you going for something special?
My apologies for the lack of clarity. We want to be able to turn it off and back on without changing the water temperature. The one handle we have now does not allow that capability.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
My apologies for the lack of clarity. We want to be able to turn it off and back on without changing the water temperature. The one handle we have now does not allow that capability.
The delta rough valve is pretty good. I'm not a person who keeps up with all of the different trim options and model numbers, but that's onn that I like. I know the pressure balanced valves have a "high limit" dial inside of them that will only let you turn the handle to whatever position that's set on the internal dial. So essentially when you set the dial you turn the handle all of the way on and it goes to the same spot, but that won't necessarily get you the same temp during different times of the year with different incoming temps. I'm sure you'd have to find the right internals for thr delta rough valve. If you called delta they would help you pick out the model.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
After experiencing Grohe thermostatically controlled shower valves in a hotel in London, I was impressed, and opted for one of theirs for my home remodel. My mother liked Delta, and I put in a 2-handle version for her, but it could be changed easily to a thermostatically controlled version at any time by changing the cartridge and trim.

Most every company makes all three types, but not all let you mix and match.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks