Check valve on Backflow assembly

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Paulypfunk, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Paulypfunk

Paulypfunk In the Trades

I’m having a debate with some friends about the best place to put a check valve in conjunction with a RPBA. I always thought it best to put it downstream of the device to prevent nuisance discharge, a colleague said it’s better to put the check valve upstream to absorb any pressure fluctuations coming from the incoming water supply. What say you all?

2. James Henry

James Henry In the Trades

Plumber
    Check valves are not installed near a RPBA, The RPBA is a form of check valve, you may already have a check valve at your meter. If your RPBA is constantly discharging or dripping then it needs maintenance.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Paulypfunk

Paulypfunk In the Trades

I commonly see them installed next to an rpz as a secondary check.

5. James Henry

Plumber
    News to me. wasn't mentioned in backflow class.

6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    I have always assumed that the reduced pressure back flow was all you needed too.

7. James Henry

Plumber
    I would think that if you put a check valve down stream of an RPZ you won't know if the RPZ has failed until the check valve fails and then its to late. I 've never heard of putting in a check valve specifically for an RPZ. They are a form of check valve.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  8. Paulypfunk

Paulypfunk In the Trades

Cheap insurance

9. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

My guess is is not prohibited . but I wouldn't recommend it. I'd build it though if on my detail