Check valve on Backflow assembly

Users who are viewing this thread

Paulypfunk

In the Trades
Reaction score
I’m having a debate with some friends about the best place to put a check valve in conjunction with a RPBA. I always thought it best to put it downstream of the device to prevent nuisance discharge, a colleague said it’s better to put the check valve upstream to absorb any pressure fluctuations coming from the incoming water supply. What say you all?

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Check valves are not installed near a RPBA, The RPBA is a form of check valve, you may already have a check valve at your meter. If your RPBA is constantly discharging or dripping then it needs maintenance.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have always assumed that the reduced pressure back flow was all you needed too.

I would think that if you put a check valve down stream of an RPZ you won't know if the RPZ has failed until the check valve fails and then its to late. I 've never heard of putting in a check valve specifically for an RPZ. They are a form of check valve.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
My guess is is not prohibited . but I wouldn't recommend it. I'd build it though if on my detail

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks