CHECK VALVE CONFUSION

Users who are viewing this thread

Jazzman

Reaction score
I just ordered my new submersible pump and pvc drop pipe for 358’ foot well, but I’m still uncertain about number of check valves and placement. Supplier was recommending additional check valve after pump and then one every 200’. On this forum I’ve read discussions that advocate for using only the one that comes with pump. Should it be factored in that I’m pumping into storage tank @0 psi? The 42 year old pump I just pulled didn’t have any additional check valves. Should that count for something?

Thanks

Jazzman

Reaction score
Thanks for your input! Let me ask if it would hurt to have an additional check valve installed after 6” stainless steel nipple that is coming out of pump? Wouldn’t that provide additional protection if one of them fails? That’s what supplier is recommending.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
My standard installation is a 6” stainless steel nipple off the pump discharge with a Simmons check valve on top of it. Then no additional check valves, regardless of how deep the pump is set.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A check valve works best when there is pressure against it. Given that you will have zero pressure above ground, the only pressure the check valve will see is whatever water is above the static level in the well. If the check valve does not hold that, the water in the pipe will drop down to the static level.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks