CHECK VALVE CONFUSION

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by Jazzman, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Jazzman

Jazzman Member

I just ordered my new submersible pump and pvc drop pipe for 358’ foot well, but I’m still uncertain about number of check valves and placement. Supplier was recommending additional check valve after pump and then one every 200’. On this forum I’ve read discussions that advocate for using only the one that comes with pump. Should it be factored in that I’m pumping into storage tank @0 psi? The 42 year old pump I just pulled didn’t have any additional check valves. Should that count for something?

Thanks

2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Semi-Retired
    You don't need any additional check valves.

valveman likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

valveman likes this.
  4. Jazzman

Jazzman Member

Thanks for your input! Let me ask if it would hurt to have an additional check valve installed after 6” stainless steel nipple that is coming out of pump? Wouldn’t that provide additional protection if one of them fails? That’s what supplier is recommending.

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

6. Boycedrilling

Boycedrilling In the Trades

My standard installation is a 6” stainless steel nipple off the pump discharge with a Simmons check valve on top of it. Then no additional check valves, regardless of how deep the pump is set.

valveman likes this.
  7. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Semi-Retired
    A check valve works best when there is pressure against it. Given that you will have zero pressure above ground, the only pressure the check valve will see is whatever water is above the static level in the well. If the check valve does not hold that, the water in the pipe will drop down to the static level.

8. Jazzman

Jazzman Member

Thanks to all for clearing up confusion!