changing flapper valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Is there any reason one cannot change the flapper in low flow toilets to one that stays open longer to increase the flushing power. Altho this could be considered unpatriotic it would avoid the annoyance of an incompletely flushing toilet.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
changeing flappers to 3.0 gal

This whole 1.6 gallon toilet design was invented

in 1992, when people thought water might be scarce someday ,,,

2006 Global Scientists warn that the polar Ice caps are melting at an alarming

rates....... much , much faster than anyone ever thought possible..

and no body in our country can make the

really tough decisioins to do anything about for it future generations

it because it might "ADVERSELY" effect our economy...today....

so many , many , many more studies are needed first..."just to be sure"

Basically, they just want to delay doing anything tougher untill the next election.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Telling you how much water you can use to take a crap

and debateing for about a decade to deicde this important issue

is about the only thing most politicians can agree on....

------------------------------------------------------------------------

you are going to have PLENTY of water in the very near future,,,

so dont worry about not being patriotic.

just change that flapper
.LOL..

Last edited:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
wasting of water

The politicians have been so bullish about mandating 1.6 gal.flush, but totally ignored all of the many sprinkler systems in our country that in total waste more water than all of the toilets combined. (only my opinion). And in a lot of states they still don't use recycled water. Sprinklers use a lot of water and how many of them have underground leaks that go ignored?

Those throw away meters in every aerator is another political move.

Who would have the most knowledgeable group to answer, how to conserve water, besides people in our industry?
Did any politician ever ask anyone of the guys on this site how to conserve water? Or the plumbing industry? My guess is no. So where did they get the information that they based there decisions on?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
1) When you multiply 3 to 5 gallons saved every time a toilet is flushed, times maybe 1 billion flushes PER DAY, you are talking about a lot of water. Same idea as applied to aerators.

2) Just like with energy saving electric appliances, the motivation is not that they want to save you money on your elecric bill.....every KW saved multiplied by millions of households, means several new power plants that do not have to be built, with the accompanying pollution. Less water down the drain means new sewer plants that do not have to be built.

3) Regarding global warming, show me how that helps local water supplies. New England just had 25 inches of rain in a week. Not good, and it all went down the rivers. True the reservoirs are probably topped off, but come first hot spell this summer, water will again be in short supply. Most of California is in a perpetual drought. Warmer winters make it worse, because one of our main sources of water is the gradual runoff from the slow melt of deep winter snows. No snow, no water.

4) Back to the toilet: Since the toilet is designed to flush with 1.6 gallons, adding more water does not create a "more powerful" flush. It may cause a double or triple flush, but if the first on was a clog, then the second one will just cause the bowl to fill up and possibly overflow. You can observe this by simply holding the handle down.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
So, lets conserve water thru plumbers promoting dual flush toilets...and likewise all of us can eliminate a lot of sprinkler water waste by planting
drought tolerant ornamentals. (thats just a start)

Those are two things we can do now.

I'll watch the gore documentary on global warming but I think he just like the oil companies cherry picks scientific reports to support their already
heavily demagogued public platforms.

I still don't know how serious the problem is.

*One camp says our planet is doomed unless we get serious about it now.

*Another camp says the problem is so bad nothing can be done now.

*Another camp says this warming is only a cyclical rebound from the mini-ice age of 1550-1850.

Maybe they are all correct to some degree.

Opinions about conserving water with low/dual flush toilets and global warming for the sake of this discussion are of course not related.
;)

Back on topic: You should be able to do whatever the hell you want Abe.
Hopefully you will get another (well engineered) toilet instead.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flapper

One reason you cannot always make that change is that some manufacturers, such as Kohler design the smaller amount of water usage into the design of the tank. Kohler, for example, has the flush valve mounted on a china "tower" so there is just the design amount of water above the flapper.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Al Gore...

He just said all the research was in and the debate is over! (global warming) I guess we can all go home now...
Just like he invented the internet.

spray on tan-hair plugs-300 dollar haircut. :eek:

seee ya! Al.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks