Changes of bathroom drain

Users who are viewing this thread

lupe

Reaction score
I had to replace the drain portion on my hallway bahrooms.
Can you please advise if its fine the way I have it now ?

My concern is if water will leak from the drain where the the cast iron pipe connects to the plasic pipe.

Here are the pic's

Thank You...

Attachments

• DSC00484A.JPG
    DSC00484A.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC00485A.JPG
    DSC00485A.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 219

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just to clarify Redwood's comment. What you have used are Fernco couplers. These are for underground use only. The coupler Redwood pictured is a banded coupler. These provide a more ridged connection. In the real world, the Ferncos will probably work just fine for a lifetime, but since there is still easy access to the connections, you should change them out to the banded type.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The issue with your flex coupling is that in the event the drain needs to be snaked, the tip of the snake can easily worm through the side of the rubber. The shield band stiffens it up, and minimizes this possibility.

In general, it is desired that the butt ends of the two pipes bottom out in the coupling. You fle-x coupling allows you to leave up to 2" with no pipe wall, just rubber. In addition to the snake problem mentioned, this also creates a discontinuity that crud can build up on, and that discontinuity in itself violates code language for drain piping.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks