Cavitation at end of pump cycle

Users who are viewing this thread

Cobra1365

Reaction score
I am experiencing some cavitation at the end of the pump cycle. It’s not the pressure switch chattering, I can hear it in the pump itself.

I have a shallow well (28yrs old) with a 1/2hp Gould jetpump. Pressure switch is 30/50 and tank is set to 28. Tank is good, pump is a yr old. Pump comes on at 30 and shuts off at 50. Plenty of water pressure at all times. But, I get three to four clunks in the pump right as it approaches 50.

So,
Bad footer valve? Wouldn’t that cause loss of prime?
Well finally going? Our water table here is pretty close to well depth.
Attic vent not moving enough air? ;)

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Most likely you have s suction leak. The leak causes cavitation just before the pump shuts off, because that is the point it is pumping the least amount of water, and the little bit of air tries to take over. You could also just be shutting the pump off too close to the max pressure that pump can build. The pump maybe worn down a bit and not building as much pressure as it used to. Fix the suction leak or turn the pressure switch down, depending on which of these problems is causing the issue.

Cobra1365

Reaction score
Thanks. I’ll do a leak check and or turn the pump down a tad.

Wouldn’t a suction leak also cause loss of prime?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks