Cast Iron Stack Wye Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Vlad1981

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

1) Need to attach sewage pump to stack in basement. Stack elbows out to city about 3-4 feet from joists above.

1) At present there is only a 4x4x2 wye above the elbow (for kitchen sink upstairs).

2) I've added a sewage ejector Liberty 1 hp for new bath in basement with its own vent out the roof.

3) I initially thought about just adding a 4x4x4 wye to the stack for the pump but there is not enough length for that.

3) So my thinking is to replace the 4x4x2 wye with a 4x4x4x4 double wye, run the kitchen 2in to a Fernco 4 x 2 reducer at wye; and then run sewage pump 4 in to wye (double). Comments?

Also:
4) My plan is to place riser clamp support above the repair work, securing it to joist above. Can/should the riser clamp support be removed after repair is finished?

Again, many thanks for any help you can offer.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Doesn't the sewage ejector output with 2"?
Why not a 4x4x2x2 double wye?
Any riser clamp you install for safety reasons, I would leave. Cast is very heavy and you will want it supported if you making any cuts. For cutting cast I've been using the Diablo blades. You will want shielded couplings for that, and the fitting you choose will determine the coupling sizing.
My experience with some old cast is that sometimes the OD is more of a copper sizing. And no-hub fittings are a little smaller than plastic (PVC & ABS) fittings.
You will want to take some good measurements and maybe have two or three different coupling sized on hand, and return the ones you don't use.

Vlad1981

Reaction score
Any riser clamp you install for safety reasons, I would leave. Cast is very heavy and you will want it supported if you making any cuts. For cutting cast I've been using the Diablo blades. You will want shielded couplings for that, and the fitting you choose will determine the coupling sizing.
My experience with some old cast is that sometimes the OD is more of a copper sizing. And no-hub fittings are a little smaller than plastic (PVC & ABS) fittings.
You will want to take some good measurements and maybe have two or three different coupling sized on hand, and return the ones you don't use.

THANKS ... Yes, it is a 2 in from pump. I was thinking the sewage pump required a 4 in to the stack so was going to tie 2 into a 4 in to stack. So, OK to run grinded poo in a 2 in to stack? A 4x4x2x2 would give me a bit more room for sure.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
you can run 2 inch waste on pump until the point that it becomes a gravity drain . I take that to mean the high point then it needs to be increased to 4 inch

Vlad1981

Reaction score

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks