Cast iron flange to J Tech flange

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by JP in VB, Jul 21, 2010.

  1. JP in VB

    JP in VB New Member

    Jul 21, 2010
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Purchased a home built in 1965, noticed one of toilets leaking into crawl space when flushed. Removed toilet and noticed two wax rings had been compressed into the cast iron drain. Looking at using a J Tech flange to raise flange to floor height and reducing the cast diameter to be able to use standard wax rings. The inside diameter of the cast iron pipe is 5", the largest J Tech flange I can find says it fits into a 4" cast pipe. What are my options?

    Thanks for any help!
  2. shacko

    shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

    Jan 22, 2006
    Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
    Rosedale, Md
    Thats weird, I can't conceive someone using 5in cast in a house, any chance you can post a picture?
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    You have a 4" cast iron flange but since the riser does NOT come up to the floor level, you have a 5" opening. I would create a 4" "Dutchman" to insert into it to bring it up to the floor level, and then secure it in place with a lead/oakum joint.
Similar Threads: Cast iron
Forum Title Date
Toilet Forum discussions How to connect back outlet toilet to cast iron soil stack? Oct 22, 2016
Toilet Forum discussions Cast Iron Soil Pipe & ABS/PVC Offset Flange Sep 11, 2016
Toilet Forum discussions Basement Toilet, no flange & looks like cast iron Jul 3, 2016
Toilet Forum discussions Toto legato & cast iron pipes Jun 1, 2016
Toilet Forum discussions Removing 1" of Cast Iron Feb 28, 2016

Share This Page