Carrier A/C Not getting cold

Users who are viewing this thread

Polsy

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've just bought a house and the A/C unit seems to be acting up.

I have it set at 70'f and it never gets below 78/79'f. Heating is fine.

I checked the filter and asides from being lop-sided, it is clear and allows the intake of new air.

I've attached a link to the images of the unit. http://imageupper.com/g/?S020001002V1400706530162499

Basically I'm looking for a troubleshooting guide for the system that I can go through before calling a guy.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated

Cheers

Matt

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
It would not hurt to turn off the breakers to both the inside and outside unit. You should have 2 breakers.

Turn off the T-stat, Then turn off the breakers, Leave them off for a minute.

Then turn them back on and wait 10 Minuets. Then try it again.

That is what I would try first.

Other troubleshooting tips are in the manual.

Good Luck.

Polsy

Reaction score
It would not hurt to turn off the breakers to both the inside and outside unit. You should have 2 breakers.

Turn off the T-stat, Then turn off the breakers, Leave them off for a minute.

I switched off the breaker outside and it didn't help. Where would the other one be located?

DonL

Reaction score
I switched off the breaker outside and it didn't help. Where would the other one be located?

Whatever one that controls the inside Blower. There should be a switch at the unit.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
More info is needed:

- does the compressor kick in?
- does the blower work?

Generally, troubleshooting a/c is beyond most DIYers. Calling a tech BEFORE summer is much more effective. You don't want a situation when you replace good parts without knowing what you're doing.

What part can be bad? there is a long list of parts that can be bad.

Call a tech, he will save your insanity.

DonL

Reaction score
More info is needed:

- does the compressor kick in?
- does the blower work?

Generally, troubleshooting a/c is beyond most DIYers. Calling a tech BEFORE summer is much more effective. You don't want a situation when you replace good parts without knowing what you're doing.

What part can be bad? there is a long list of parts that can be bad.

Call a tech, he will save your insanity.

That is not a bad Idea.

Resetting the controller is about all many people can, and should try.

Unless you have the tools and know how to use them, It is much better to call a Pro that you can trust.

Finding one you can trust can be hard sometimes now a days.

If you get one that shotguns using parts that are not needed, it can get expensive.

But there are good techs that can find the problem quick, and save you a bunch of money, Only replacing what you really need.

You could at least do a visual inspection.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Polsy

Reaction score
Thanks for the info boys. I have reset everything (I work in IT so it was the 1st rule of IT club) all to no avail.

How do I filter out the crappy techs? Angie's List? I'm based in Denver if you boys know of any companies with a decent rep over here

DonL

Reaction score
Thanks for the info boys. I have reset everything (I work in IT so it was the 1st rule of IT club) all to no avail.

How do I filter out the crappy techs? Angie's List? I'm based in Denver if you boys know of any companies with a decent rep over here

Angie's List may be fine I have never used them. It may be best to get one that does not smoke weed, but some of those techs are very smart.

Just do not pick someone with the lowest price, Get one with the best warranty.

Even Sears is fine, Most of the time. Once they fix it you can get a service contract that includes a yearly checkup.

With all of this electronic junk in everything now, a service contract can be great to have.

It is also possible that you just have a thermostat problem, and the unit is fine. If it has a battery change it.

Another thing, That unit may be under warranty, you should check to see. You just need a bill of sale, Even if the previous owner name is on it, same address, it should be honored.

Good luck.

Last edited:

JerryR

Reaction score
Matt,

First go to the Carrier site and register as a "subsequent owner", transferring registration to your name.
http://www.registration.carrier.com/product_registration/RegistrationForm.aspx?b=c

The unit in the picture is only 4 years old, manufactured jan 2010 per the label. Compressors have a 10 year parts warranty and some units have overall 5 year parts warranty. Labor can be expensive but most dealers here charge flat rate diagnostic fees.

If you are an Angie's list member absolutely check out local AC service shops and call ones with excellent reviews and ask about diagnostic fees. They usually are reasonable.

Good luck.

Edit: I just did a web search and found a Denver Dealer with a $79 diagnostic fee.
http://denverairconditioninstallsco.com

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
Matt,

First go to the Carrier site and register as a "subsequent owner", transferring registration to your name.
http://www.registration.carrier.com/product_registration/RegistrationForm.aspx?b=c

The unit in the picture is only 4 years old, manufactured jan 2010 per the label. Compressors have a 10 year parts warranty and some units have overall 5 year parts warranty. Labor can be expensive but most dealers here charge flat rate diagnostic fees.

If you are an Angie's list member absolutely check out local AC service shops and call ones with excellent reviews and ask about diagnostic fees. They usually are reasonable.

Good luck.

Edit: I just did a web search and found a Denver Dealer with a $79 diagnostic fee.
http://denverairconditioninstallsco.com

That is a good idea, if the other owner bought the extra warranty, The electronics may be covered.

Around here you can get a Free estimate, but you may need to pay the trip cost, and fuel prices are up.

Denver Dealer with a $79 diagnostic fee may be good if they do not add the trip charge to it. Do not be mad if they are stoned. My bad. It cracks me up with the new laws there, and it is making record money for the state.

A Carrier dealer would be the way to go I think. They know THEIR stuff.
They will also Replace the part of the unit that made the compressor go out.

If installed properly a good compressor will last 20 years, If the system does not leak. But many do.

Many of the units like you have come precharged, and the installer SHOULD make sure the Refrigerant level is correct for your Install. One does not fit all.

Around hear stray Dogs will Piss on your outdoor unit and cause a Refrigerant leak.

Sorry for being a bit off topic if I was.

Last edited:

clocert

Reaction score
I thought this is a DIY forum. How come you folks do not tell people how to solve a problem and keep telling them to call a tech. I came from another DIY forum, we help people on all kinds of issues, and do not send them to AC pros unless they have major problems. (major problem means they have to replace condenser, or replace air handler.)

Lone Star Charles

Reaction score
A few things to check:
Set the thermostat on Cool
Adjust the temperature down below ambient - compressor should come on (it will delay a few minutes if it was just on)
Let it run for a few minutes. - The big copper pipe going into the condensing unit will usually begin to sweat (Maybe not in Colorado, but it should at least get very cold) - If it does not, it could indicate low refrigerant. Refrigerant adjustment is not a DIY job without the proper certification.
Does the fan on top of the condensing unit run when the compressor comes on? It should.
According to the model number, the unit is a nominal two ton unit. Although old rules of thumb should not be used to size air-conditioning, especially with today's energy codes, those old guesstimates would say that you have enough air-conditioning for about 1,000 square feet.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
If the thermostat was recently swapped, a fairly common stupid-attack is to wire it up in such a way that it's calling for auxilliary heating strips + cooling at the same time, which has the consequence of extremely high power use and near-zero (or even negative) sensible cooling (though it'll dry the place out pronto.) In those cases it works just fine in heating mode...

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I thought this is a DIY forum. How come you folks do not tell people how to solve a problem and keep telling them to call a tech. I came from another DIY forum, we help people on all kinds of issues, and do not send them to AC pros unless they have major problems. (major problem means they have to replace condenser, or replace air handler.)

I guess because we don't believe folks should be sticking their fingers around 240 volts without knowing what they are doing but by all means, feel free to advise him lol.

DonL

Reaction score

Yes, What Tom said.

You need a licenses in Texas to work on your own system because of new laws. I do work on my own, and also pay my taxes.

Telling a person how to break the law, May be against Terry's Forum Policy.

I do not like to see someone pay big bucks for help from a pro, But helping a person to become Deaded is no fun either.

clocert

Reaction score
All I understand is you need EPA certification to work on freon, I did not know any TX law that prevent home owner from working on their own system, or their brother's system, or their neighbor's system, or ..... (We are talking about DIY here, not a business set up) I do understand the high voltage concern, and always remind the DIYer if they have to get into the condensing unit. You will be surprised, how handy those DYIers are. In fact, some of them are electrical engineer, or computer engineer, they just don't know HVAC.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
All I understand is you need EPA certification to work on freon, I did not know any TX law that prevent home owner from working on their own system, or their brother's system, or their neighbor's system, or ..... (We are talking about DIY here, not a business set up) I do understand the high voltage concern, and always remind the DIYer if they have to get into the condensing unit. You will be surprised, how handy those DYIers are. In fact, some of them are electrical engineer, or computer engineer, they just don't know HVAC.

I am happy to help a person that has a VOM.

If they do not know what that is, They should not be working on it.

I play with electricity every day, and I respect it also.

You have some good points, I am glad you posted.

To me the EPA regs for a homeowner are Bull Shit. But who am I to Judge Gov Money Suckers ?

Have Fun.

Last edited:

Lone Star Charles

Reaction score

That an EPA certification is required before handling refrigerants is my understanding as well. Also, I am unaware of any Texas law that prevents a home owner from working on their own system (or someone else's as a DIY type project).

I share your concern about safety advice and would recommend that anyone sharing DIY hints also point out any potential hazards raised by those hints. High voltage, high pressure, high temperature, explosion hazards, or just crawling under a car supported by only a bumper jack should be pointed out. Requiring that a person have a VOM (or knowing what it is) before sharing information is not being very helpful.

Since the original poster seems to have abandoned this thread, continuing this discussion seems moot.

DonL

Reaction score
Since the original poster seems to have abandoned this thread, continuing this discussion seems moot.

Not really. Some good points were brought up. I think the original posters unit was in warranty, Why mess with it, without the correct tools ?

So all of the safety precautions should be taught by a DIY forum ?

Teaching a person how to use a VOM, over the internet is not a easy task. There are plenty of web sites that tell you how, And reading the manual helps. Me holding your hand would be better.

Lets have a PPE class, You can start the first one. Make a nice sticky, that people will not read.

Many times You do need to measure pressure, and Yes a small amount of refrigerant will come out when you disconnect Your gauges.

Having the proper tools to work on AC units, is not something the normal DIYer will have. And if they have the tools and know how to use them, They are not likely too come to a Plumbing Forum for help. I could be wrong.

Have a great day.

JerryR

Reaction score

Perhaps you can diagnose the problem for him. You should have all the information needed, i.e. The air conditioner doesn't seem to cool the house properly.

I think calling a pro for a diagnosis fee of $79 would be money well spent.

DIY air-conditioning repair is not a novice undertaking. You could cause more damage or worse hurt yourself.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks