Can CSV be installed at the output of a submersible pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

erkme73

Reaction score
Instead of putting it at the top of the poly pipe just below the pitless, can it be installed right at the output of the pump? This would have it with little or no volume between the pump and the CSV, and the CSV would be permanently submerging well water?

Installing a neighbor's new well pump today and cannot source the 12" nipple I used on mine to put distance between the pitless and the CSV.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
No. You will lose 1 psi for every 2.31' you lower the CSV. Just cut the poly pipe a couple feet down and use a couple more barb fittings to install the CSV.

Reach4

Reaction score
Any reason to not use a 4 or 6 inch nipple?

erkme73

Reaction score
Thanks Cary - yes, that's ultimately what I told them to grab - more barbs and clamps. They're at Lowe's right now (it's a 2hr RT drive from the install site).

Reach - there is some kind of building boom going on in our part of the world, nearly everything you need has an empty shelf. From lumber to electric wire - it's all empty with no indication when they'll get more. So we're trying to rig stuff up to complete the projects... No nipples - even at the wholesale sites.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Stopped at my pump distributor yesterday. They said they’re starting to see unfilled or partial filled orders from the manufacturers for pump ends and motors. Also stopped at my electrical wholesaler for a roll of #10 thhn. He said no wire shortages, But they can’t hardly get breakers. Doesn’t matter what brand.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Tried to buy a freezer or refrigerator lately? Like most of us who purchase parts from China we were a year ahead on inventory, as it takes that long to get stuff normally. It is next years supply of just about everything that will be a challenge.

Last edited:

erkme73

Reaction score
On the upside, I did get to use my plasma cutter to make the hole for the pitless. I tried the civilized way using a 1.75" bi-metal hole bit. Slow and steady with plenty of cutting oil, but about half way through, the teeth were gone. Neighbor only bought one bit, so it was either a day wasted going to town to hopefully find another bit, or head home to grab the cutter, generator, air compressor, and other supporting gear. I jumped at the chance.

Having the pre-cut/scored marks for the hole made for a great template. Punched through the steal in about 10 seconds. The ooos and ahhhhs coming from the audience sounded like something you'd hear at a fourth of July event. And the sound of the arc blowing into the shaft sounded so neat, it was totally worth the work to get everything to the site. The adapter slipped through perfectly and clamped down snugly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks