Can a Sanitary Tee be used to tie Vertical to Horizontal if it is only used for a Vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

tonyttt

Reaction score
Hello, I have two horizontal drain sections one is three inch and has two sinks connected, the other is 4" and has one sink, one WC and a tub. Each has a vent tied in coming from the roof. Because of the placement, I cant fit a Wye fitting to tie the vent in to each of the horizontal sections. I know I cant use a Santee to transition from vertical to horizontal but is that restriction limited to waste flow making permissible if the transition is for the vent only?
Thanks!!

Reach4

Reaction score
There are differing opinions on whether a santee can be used to vent a horizontal drain pipe with a dry vent. I don't find clear code cites either way. I find people saying that it depends on the inspector.

Plumbing-and-Trenching-for-Homeowners---2018 (klickitatcounty.org) page 5 item D shows that as an example.

http://www.co.lincoln.or.us/sites/d..._-_helpful_hints_residential_construction.pdf page 8 says
Drain pipe from sink, tub, toilet or shower is not permitted to drain into a san tee in a horizontal position.
The wording to me implies that the vertical could be a dry vent.

Last edited by a moderator:

tonyttt

Reaction score
Probably. Can you post a picture or drawing?
Hello,
Thanks for the reply, Here is a picture of the 4" vent connection. If its contrary to code I would change before the inspection.

Attachments

• 20170704_185955_resized.jpg
    20170704_185955_resized.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,236

tonyttt

Reaction score
There are differing opinions on whether a santee can be used to vent a horizontal drain pipe with a dry vent. I don't find clear code cites either way. I find people saying that it depends on the inspector.

Plumbing-and-Trenching-for-Homeowners---2018 (klickitatcounty.org) page 5 item D shows that as an example.

http://www.co.lincoln.or.us/sites/d..._-_helpful_hints_residential_construction.pdf page 8 says
Drain pipe from sink, tub, toilet or shower is not permitted to drain into a san tee in a horizontal position.
The wording to me implies that the vertical could be a dry vent.
Thanks, those docs are very helpful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks