Users who are viewing this thread

TSwampy

Reaction score
Is this repairable? What would have caused this kind of break? It's only about a foot below grade, so any water should have drained out the bottom before freezing. How would you DIY this one? I'd love to forgo digging another 7' through clay and roots to replace this.
Thanks!
TSwampy

Attachments

• IMG_20190511_160659486.jpg
    IMG_20190511_160659486.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_20190511_160648055.jpg
    IMG_20190511_160648055.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 234

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It looks to me that it was rusted in that spot. I don't see a good way to repair that.
Or maybe you can unthread from the end and replace with the exact same size of piping.

yard-hydrant-parts.jpg

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
......What would have caused this kind of break? It's only about a foot below grade, so any water should have drained out the bottom before freezing.....

Cannot tell what the pipe is made of but the break is pushed out, therefore, only ice could have done it. As Terry stated there is rust or corrosion that cause the pipe wall to be thinner and weaker. Depending on the pipe material you might be able to cut the pipe and add a new section to the hand pump.

The hand pump may have a built in check valve to prevent the water from draining back down the pipe. It what keeps it primed so with repeated use it doesn't need to be pumped several times without water coming out. Over a few days of no use it probably does drain.

There is a hose fitting on the handpump, was a hose attached to it during this past winter? It might have prevented the water from draining back.

Reach4

Reaction score
Drain-back port could have been set in clay, instead of gravel.

TSwampy

Reaction score
Thanks, guys, for the good info and suggestions. I haven't kept any hoses on it during the frost, and I'm told that the bottom of the unit was set in pea rock about 10 years ago. That being said, I have clay everywhere, so I won't rule that out as an issue.

I'm inclined to try the clamp idea, though I don't know how well that will seal with all the corrosion present. Wondering if y'all have had any luck using a high-grade tape like they use on underground high-pressure natural gas lines (I happen to have some on hand). Also, is welding it a plausible
solution?

TSwampy

Reaction score
UPDATE: After bending the wayward piece back in place and sanding/cleaning the pipe, I put the clamp on. The pipe is so corroded that the clamp rubber didn't seat well enough in the gap. Water came spraying out of both ends of the clamp. I then applied 3M Scotchrap 10 mil tape and tested it. I had forgotten what full water pressure felt like! I couldn't find a single drop of water leaking out. I'm not convinced this is a permanent solution, but until I can get a backhoe in here and replace the whole thing, I'm satisfied. I'll probably throw the clamp back on the opening over the tape, like plumber69 mentioned.
Thanks for all your input!
TSwampy

Attachments

• IMG_20190520_203439975.jpg
    IMG_20190520_203439975.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 221
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks