Burst faucet and low water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

PandAvorsteg

Reaction score
So here's my issue. Went away on vacation and every thing was fine. No issues with water pressure. Two showers could run and a toilet flush with no interference to the showers. However, some time while we were gone, the kitchen faucet burst, flooding the house for approximately 3 days. (according to the water remedIation guy). My house is in disarray as my kitchen, dining room and living rooms are torn apart, awaiting contractors. Enter my issue. Now we have water pressure issues. The municipality lady came and turned on my water next to where the water enters the house and said it was fine. I tested it this evening. It read 100 psi. However, as soon as I turn any other source on, it drops to 30. If I turn on any other source, it drops to 18. My house does not have a pressure regulator. I checked, all shutoff valves ore open, with the exception of the kitchen, as there is currently no faucet. I have copper pipes. Any suggestions are appreciated. Ps....the other day my son was in shower (lathered up), other son flushed toilet, wife started laundry. Shower boy was yelling that the shower was a trickle.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pressure, by itself, is not a good indication...a soda straw could easily have the same pressure as a fire hose, but the volume they can provide would be radically different. It sounds like there's an obstruction somewhere in the supply line. It could be the main shutoff by the road(?) isn't fully opened, or some crud got in the line and is now blocking flow.

FWIW, plumbing codes generally require pressure within the home to be NGT 80psi, so a pressure reduction valve is called for, and that also requires an expansion tank...separate issue, but something to consider.

If you have galvanized steel supply line(s) anywhere feeding the house, that could have released enough rust particles to clog up things. Turning the water off then on again tends to release more than when it's constantly on. Pressure dropping off radically with small additions to volume requested are a symptom of restrictions in the supply line (somewhere).

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I always tell my family and friends to turn the main off when away from home and have a separate shut off for irrigation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks