Buried/Recessed Electrical Box w/ Access Panel

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by brianosaur, Apr 3, 2020.

1. brianosaur

brianosaur New Member

I've read that it is code that an electrical box can be recessed behind drywall as long as it is accessible via a panel/hatch. Am I right to assume that is only for a plate covered junction box?

I am wondering if a outlet box with a 120v 15a receptacle can be located behind a access panel with a plug. I *had* thought it was code for use on Jacuzzi bath tubs, but wondering if it applies elsewhere?

I am hoping to hide a low voltage 12v transformer plug for led strip lighting in such a recessed area and plug it into the receptacle.

Would I have to build an entire recessed framed & drywalled 'enclosed panel box' behind the access panel to enclose the outlet/receptacle and plug?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  2. Stuff

Stuff Well-Known Member

You don't have to finish/drywall behind the access panel. The receptacle and box need to be properly mounted and the power cable feeding it needs secured.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    You don't need framing or anything like that. This are very lightweight plastic panels that use only caulking to be glued up the to the drywall. Installing for an outlet and driver for LED low voltage is completely allowed. The only issue is safety from toddlers getting into it. There are metal ones with a 1/4 turn latch using a screwdriver. The plastic ones the panel snaps into the frame. They are very lightweight, flush to the wall and can be painted.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020