Buffer tank to eliminate cold water sandwich

Users who are viewing this thread

Willy101

Reaction score
Does anyone make a small buffer tank that I can install on the hot water outlet of a Rinnai RL75I?
I have a recirculation line with a grundfos pump. I use a repeat cycle timer to run the pump on a schedule similar to the heater program. The system is working great except for the cold water sandwich if you happen to be taking a shower at the end of the cycle. I want to install a buffer tank to mitigate the temperature drop. Haven't been able to find one except for a small electric water heater. Anyone know of a small buffer tank without electric?

Willy101

Reaction score
Water heater would be the best bet. Its insulated, has a diptube for mixing so the water doesn't get stratified.
Thought of that but haven't been able to find a small one with 3/4 fittings. Everything has the sink fittings. Don't want to reduce the flow. A small buffer tank would be a easy way to reduce the cold water sandwich effect. Thought someone would be making one.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can get a 2-1/2" gallon hot water heater with 1/2" IPS fittings and then adapt to 3/4". The short section of 1/2" IPS won't have a significant additional pressure drop.

But you should be aware that the way it will reduce the cold water sandwich effect is by spreading it out over time. E.g. if you currently get 6 seconds of water 30F colder than target, you might spread that out to 60 seconds of water 3F colder than target (made up numbers).

Cheers, Wayne

Bannerman

Reaction score
cold water sandwich if you happen to be taking a shower at the end of the cycle.
Not sure what this means as cold water sandwich should not be occuring while hot water is flowing continuously unless the flow rate is reduced lower than the rate needed to keep the gas burner operational.

Because a tankless heater has no hot water preheated in storage, when hot water is first drawn, some cold water entering the WH will pass through the heat exchanger before the gas burner becomes activated and heating water to capacity.

Although the cooler water exiting the WH will be not much of an issue when no hot water has been used for some time and so the water within the hot water plumbing through the house is also cold, it will be a problem when hot water has been used, then shut off and then ran again while the distribution plumbing remains hot.

Since some cold water will again pass through the heat exchanger during startup, hot water within the distribution lines will be hot initially, which will be then followed by the cold slug that exitied the WH during burner startup which will be then followed by the hot water produced after the burner has refired and is up to capacity.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks