bubbles in toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
That tells me that your problem is with the septic system.
What do you picture is causing the symptoms? With a clogged septic I would have expected either a backup into the shower or tub, or a wet spot in the yard. But all we get is bubbles from the toilet and the toilet not flushing. These symptoms sounds like somehow the vent line gets isolated, so there is air pressure in the pipe.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A typical septic system's tank is normally full when operating. When new stuff is added, some runs out into the leach field, but the level of the tank and the outlet to the septic system means there's room for a 'typical' inlet of fresh waste without causing restrictions. If your leach field is clogged, or the outlet from the tank to it (distribution box?), or the slope of the pipe going to the tank is wrong, or there's a partial clog getting to the tank, that line can fill up...nothing will work well when that happens unless it is higher than the clog and there's room in the pipe for stuff to get in there. Drain lines are not designed for pressure, and must flow easily via gravity to remain essentially empty so new stuff can get in. IF it were a total clog, nothing would work, so it's partial. IF there's anything that restricts that flow, it can back up, and then things stop working right. You need to find out what's causing the backup and fix it. It might be tree roots, a section that has sunk, a collapsed pipe, a break, or problems in the septic system which include the tank, distribution box, and leach field. Often, a camera inspection can pinpoint the problem, otherwise, you're taking a stab in the dark.

The observation that the toilet won't flush when it is bubbling tells me that the line is full. The vent could be fine, but it won't work if the line is full.

Reach4

Reaction score
If your leach field is clogged, or the outlet from the tank to it (distribution box?), or the slope of the pipe going to the tank is wrong, or there's a partial clog getting to the tank, that line can fill up...nothing will work well when that happens unless it is higher than the clog and there's room in the pipe for stuff to get in there. Drain lines are not designed for pressure, and must flow easily via gravity to remain essentially empty so new stuff can get in.
Why doesn't the shower or tub back up?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
There could be many reasons why it doesn’t back up into the house but is slow to drain as she is describing. If the floor level is higher than the ground level and the septic system is failing, sewage may be breaking out on the surface. If that is the case it may never back up into the house. This will cause the tank to be full of water up to the tippy top. Normally there is 9 inches of freeboard or 9” from the bottom of the outlet to the inside top of the tank. The inlet pipe is 2” above the outlet. If the liquid level in the tank rises the floaters rise too. All of this restricts liquid movement into the tank and out into the drainfield as JAD said. During the rainy season, which we are in, the seasonal high water table rises. Sometimes septic systems are installed too deep and during wet weather these same symptoms may occur. Sometimes they do back up into the house and sometimes not. If it was installed deep in heavy soil it may not break out on the surface or at the tank lids and then it could back up in the house.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
It's all about the order of which things are attached to the drain line. A shower dumps a bit over 2gpm, a toilet dumps 1.6g in seconds...a partial clog may drain fast enough for other things to still have room in the pipe...if the toilet is closer to the outlet, it could easily be full there. FWIW, a vent is required to prevent traps from being siphoned dry...most systems will drain just fine without one, maybe, too fast, and self-siphon the trap itself, but the vent is primarily to prevent other, downstream traps from being sucked dry as the waste passes by.

Amy huggins

Reaction score
It's all about the order of which things are attached to the drain line. A shower dumps a bit over 2gpm, a toilet dumps 1.6g in seconds...a partial clog may drain fast enough for other things to still have room in the pipe...if the toilet is closer to the outlet, it could easily be full there. FWIW, a vent is required to prevent traps from being siphoned dry...most systems will drain just fine without one, maybe, too fast, and self-siphon the trap itself, but the vent is primarily to prevent other, downstream traps from being sucked dry as the waste passes by.
Thank you all for your help...Going get someone to run a camera

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Before I paid for that, I would look to see if the liquid level in the tank is rising up above the tank outlet.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
There's likely an inspection cover on the septic tank...there must be some sort of cover to be able to service it, which is what Smooky is talking about...essentially a cost free check, but if you don't know what you're looking at, may not tell you much...might require a pro.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is usually a lid over the inlet and a lid over the outlet. There is a baffle wall in the middle of the tank. There is a very small lid over the baffle. If the tank was installed in the last 20 years or so there may be a filter of some sort on the outlet. Those filters can get clogged up and slow things down. You can usually just pull the filter out and hose it off. The guy that pumped it out may have cleaned it. He should have pumped both sides but sometimes they only pump the inlet side.

Amy huggins

Reaction score
There is usually a lid over the inlet and a lid over the outlet. There is a baffle wall in the middle of the tank. There is a very small lid over the baffle. If the tank was installed in the last 20 years or so there may be a filter of some sort on the outlet. Those filters can get clogged up and slow things down. You can usually just pull the filter out and hose it off. The guy that pumped it out may have cleaned it. He should have pumped both sides but sometimes they only pump the inlet side.
I was sick today so I didn't make to digging it up..I know ours has 3 lids I haven't seen a wall in the middle ours don't have a filter..we been here 15 years the tank was here when we bought the place..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks