bubbles in toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Amy huggins

Reaction score
We just had our Septic tank pumped and this makes the 3rd time,in the past few years.The reason we have had it pumped so many times is because when we take a bath or shower,the toilet water bubbles and the toilet will not flush when the tub or shower is draining.Both toilets makes the bubble sounds when the shower or tub is draining .The tub and shower drain fine. Please help
Old Modular home did the same thing and new Modular home is doing the same thing

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your septic system drain field may be too deep and is below the seasonal water table or the septic system is failing for some other reason.

Reach4

Reaction score
Crawl space? If so, I think you need to get your drain lines inspected to make sure things are sloped right and there are not bellys.

Amy huggins

Reaction score
Your septic system drain field may be too deep and is below the seasonal water table or the septic system is failing for some other reason.
yeah that is what I'm afraid of guess it's time to have new Septic system installed :(

Reach4

Reaction score
I would have thought that a clogged septic system would cause the lowest drain, the shower or bathtub drain, to back up when other water was used.

Amy huggins

Reaction score
I would have thought that a clogged septic system would cause the lowest drain, the shower or bathtub drain, to back up when other water was used.
nothing back ups just toilets bubble and won't flush when the tub is draining

Reach4

Reaction score
I am wondering if this bubbling symptom could be from having AAVs but no effective real roof vent.

As a test on a nice day, if you could find an AAV , open a window, remove the AAV temporarily and tolerate the stink for the test. See if symptoms, other than a stink, remain.

This idea is not based on experience.

Amy huggins

Reaction score
I am wondering if this bubbling symptom could be from having AAVs but no effective real roof vent.

As a test on a nice day, if you could find an AAV , open a window, remove the AAV temporarily and tolerate the stink for the test. See if symptoms, other than a stink, remain.

This idea is not based on experience.

Reach4

Reaction score
took the cap off the air vent under the kitchen sink the toilet:( still bubbles
Sorry to hear that. It was worth a try I think.

Suppose there was a dip/belly in the piping that held water and did not let air pass. Suppose that dip separated the shower and toilet drain lines from both the kitchen AAV and the roof vent connection. That might still match the toilet-bubbling symptoms, to my thinking.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Have you tried to flush the toilet when there are bubbles? If it won't flush, that implies that the drain line is full, whether because it is undersized (shouldn't be), partially clogged, or as has been mentioned, not sloped properly. The entire line needs to have a minimum of 1/4"/foot downward slope, otherwise, it could either slow things down, or has any uphill component, trap enough waste to cause problems.

Reach4

Reaction score
Have you tried to flush the toilet when there are bubbles? If it won't flush, that implies that the drain line is full, whether because it is undersized (shouldn't be), partially clogged, or as has been mentioned, not sloped properly.
Couldn't it alternatively mean that the line was pressurized with air? If the lines were filled with water, I would expect backup into the shower and/or tub.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Couldn't it alternatively mean that the line was pressurized with air?
It's hard to pressurize a properly sized drain pipe, especially with something like a shower draining (@2.5gpm max) into a minimum of a 2" pipe - there would almost always be some air space if the slope was proper without any obstructions. Even a toilet, whose outlet is typically in the order of slightly over 2", going into a minimum of a 3" pipe. Throw some worst case scenarios together, and maybe, but a clog is more likely.

Reach4

Reaction score
Throw some worst case scenarios together, and maybe, but a clog is more likely.
Can you come up with a scenario where the toilet bubbles during a shower, but the tub and shower drains don't back up?
img_1.png

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
IF the pipe actually goes uphill as shown, then the pipe will be full of water...it will drain, but create problems. An AAV only lets air in, not out, and they won't work everywhere.

It's physically impossible for a single 2" drain from the shower to fill the required 3" or larger pipe from the toilet unless the slope is incorrect or there's a clog. Since it drains, it can't be a total clog.

Amy huggins

Reaction score
Have you tried to flush the toilet when there are bubbles? If it won't flush, that implies that the drain line is full, whether because it is undersized (shouldn't be), partially clogged, or as has been mentioned, not sloped properly. The entire line needs to have a minimum of 1/4"/foot downward slope, otherwise, it could either slow things down, or has any uphill component, trap enough waste to cause problems.
it won't flush while it is bubbling

Jadnashua

Reaction score
There's a partial clog, or your septic system is not draining fast enough which allows the drain pipe to fill up. Or, the pipe has a belly in it, that traps water. A camera inspection done by a good tech should be able to isolate where the problem is.

Amy huggins

Reaction score
There's a partial clog, or your septic system is not draining fast enough which allows the drain pipe to fill up. Or, the pipe has a belly in it, that traps water. A camera inspection done by a good tech should be able to isolate where the problem is.
Right after you pumped out the septic tank did the bubbling stop for a day or two?
having it pumped out does stop the bubbling for only a few days

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks