Bubbles and slow draining kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Inav

Reaction score
Newbie here in Ontario.We renovating and due to new kitchen cabinets, we had to redo the plumbing under the sink.

The venting stack is about 2 to 3 feet from sink drain.

With the faucet fully open the sink slowly fills up and bubbles start coming up as it drains.

We thought it was leaves in the vent stack on the roof. So flushed that with a garden hose. We noticed that when the garden hose is running in the vent stack, we do not have the bubbles in the sink.

That seems to indicate that it is a venting issue. Seems like the "current" from the water coming down the venting stack is dragging the water from the sink with it. I guess the vent has a lower pressure with garden hose running in it???

Looking at the P-trap, I think that the right side should have been higher by an inch or two. Btw, we are using 1.5" and. Will this fix the issue I am having?

I have included a picture showing the current configuration.

Attachments

• 20170703_200638.jpg
    20170703_200638.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 648

Reach4

Reaction score
I would think that when you run the dishwasher, that would push up into the sink.

I suspect a partial blockage where the drain line under the vent goes horizontal. That should have been a long sweep.

If you redo, maybe feed the dishwasher into a tail piece meant to receive a dishwasher output. Put a long sweep on that vertical to horizontal if practical.

Add a cleanout so that you could clean that elbow area.

I don't know why no suds when you are running water down the vent.

Inav

Reaction score
What do you mean by "Put a long sweep on that vertical to horizontal if practical"?

In the picture attached, would that be #1 or #2?

Don't you think that #2 should be higher than #1 by maybe 2"?

Also by " bubbles", I mean air bubbles, not suds.

Attachments

• 20170703_224228.jpg
    20170703_224228.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 662

Reach4

Reaction score
#3.

Attachments

• img_3.jpg
    img_3.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 607

Inav

Reaction score
#3 is 2 pieces of 45 degree elbow followed by about 6" horizontal run into the verticsl drain. #10 is connected to the vertical stack.

What should be the minimum horizontal run at #3?

Also, do you think that the height of #1 and #2 are ok?

Reach4

Reaction score
OK. I mis-interpreted 3.

I am not a plumber. I hope somebody has a good prescription for you.

Highlander

Reaction score
Possible blockages aside you have some s-trap/running-trap strangeness and the dishwasher is feeding into that backwards as well.

Out of the sink #11 should go down directly into a vertical tailpiece where the dishwasher will also connect to, end of tailpiece goes right into one end of the p-trap, exit of p-trap then goes horizontally to the san-t #5 (add a 22 or 45 elbow as needed to get things to lineup).

Connection at #10 and what it connects to could be suspect as well (is it a true vent or a stack that gets waste from, say, a bathroom above?).

Adding a clean out fitting above #5 would be wise while you're in there reworking it.

(not a plumber either)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My guess is that you wanted to maximize space under the sink, so you ran the drain back towards the wall before running it into the p-trap...not a great idea especially in a kitchen sink that can have food debris that might sit in that horizontal prior to the p-trap. It also slows the waste flow down. A straight shot to the p-trap, then run that outlet to the stack with the vent above, and it will probably work better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks