Blowing barbed drip emitters into outer space

Users who are viewing this thread

Orchard Guy

Reaction score
I have an elevated water tank (15 feet; 6.5 psi head pressure) connected to a diaphragm pump with pressure switch settings of 40-60 psi. Connected to a pre-charged pressure tank at 30 psi. I run overhead sprinklers which do fine with the pressure.

Just added drip irrigation to water the pecan trees. It's on a separate valve from the overhead sprinklers. The 60 psi is blowing the emitters out of the poly pipe. Can I add a pressure regulator to the drip irrigation after it tee's off from the main line? I want to dial the pressure in the drip line down to 30 psi but don't know if that will have any adverse impact on the performance of the pressure tank or pump.

Appreciate any advice

Orchard Guy

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I know that downstream from the pressure regulator all will be fine and the barbs will quit blowing out. I am concerned that the pressure regulator will have an upstream effect back on the pressure tank and pump.

Orchard Guy

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I know the pressure regulator will solve the barb problem and that down stream from the regulator, everything will be fine. My concern is whether or not a 30 psi pressure regulator will have any upstream impact on the function of the pressure tank or pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks