Blocked toilet, tried everything

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by cfd, Apr 18, 2020.

1. cfd

cfd New Member

My toilet is blocked. The drain outside is fine; the sink and shower are fine. I've tried using a drain rod with plunger and that gets the water level down but the pan still fills up when I flush the toilet again. I've tried an auger which didn't seem to reach anything and I've tried everything the internet suggests (washing up liquid, bicarb/vinegar etc).

It's a ground floor flat in a terraced house. Upstairs have no problems.

Any other ideas before I call a plumber?

Thanks

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    1) You can pour cold water from a bucket into the bowl directly and often that will work.

2)Another method with a plunger is to pull out the small portion of the plunger, seat it in the bottom of the bowl. Allow some water to seal around the plunger and using very short strokes up and down, maybe an inch or two, get the water in the bowl vibrating, then barely lift the plunger upward to allow the water in the bowl to suck down.

3)A third method is to use a closet auger to push through the clog. They make two sized, 7/8" on the end and 1-5/8" on the end. I use the larger of the two sizes, and sometimes if I know what has been dropped in, I pull the bowl and push it back from whence it came. That involves replacing the wax seals.

4) Remove the toilet and auger from the bottom, which may find what is blocking the trapway.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Get a 5 gallon (~20 liter) bucket. Pour water from that from as high as you dare, as fast as you dare. That may move your blockage out.

Did you need to use a plunger on that toilet more than once per person-year? Consider taking the opportunity to get a new better-flushing toilet.

But yes, the blockage could be below the toilet. If you are going to have to pull the toilet or get the toilet pulled anyway, consider putting in a new one with a more modern design. By modern, I mean a nice trapway, rather than the appearance.