Black pipe assembly tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

jtech1

Reaction score
I have read all the threads on tightening black pipe over the years (I am not a pro) and have no problem assembling leak free water and gas threaded pipe/fittings. But, I do run into issues now and then, that I have to believe there are ways to avoid that I don't know about... hoping someone can help provide a tip or two to help me (and others) out here.

I use RectorSeal 5 teflon pipe dope for gas lines.

1) When I use a street elbow right out of a brass valve, it seems to go much further into the valve (1 or no threads visible) that most other pre-cut nipples in regular fittings. Is this normal?

2) On same assembly as #1, it is also very easy to back it up a bit while working further down the line... like tightening pipe coming out of the other side of the street elbow or next fitting after that. I assume because the teflon and the brass have more slip than a steel fitting? Is there a "best" orientation for the two wrenches when tightening down the line so as not to disturb previous fittings? ie. street elbow out of horizontal valve, with elbow turning up and nipple out of elbow pointing up... if I have either the holding wrench or the turning wrench where force is applied anywhere near the direction of the street elbow unthreading direction, it will usually slip. If I put wrenches at 180 from each other and push both, the street elbow could tighten more and get out of alignment. Just wondering if there is any "plumbers rule" on how to use the wrenches to not mess up previous connections. I am always nervous that I will apply too much on both wrenches and torque/snap a fitting or pipe further back in the assembly.

3) I read somewhere to always have the larger wrench used as holding the previous pipe/fitting, and smaller wrench to tighten next piece. Is this true? Is this better than two of the same wrenches? Is there benefit to having more holding force than turning force?

4) Is there an industry name for the holding wrench and turning wrench?

5) As a rule I never loosen a connection to align... only tighten. If I tighten past the alignment point accidentally, I remove, clean and redo the connection and don't go too far next time. But, my question is... if I accidentally loosen a connection while working further down the line, can I re-tighten to the point it was at before without any potential issue, or if any previous joint moves in the loosening direction, does it need to be completely redone?

Thanks in advance for any advice/tips you can help me with!

Asktom

Reaction score
Rector seal 5 is good

1) I don't use st elbows, the ID is smaller. If it screws in that far either the st ell is faulty or the brass valve has been stretched.

2) I don't worry about backing up a bit. If it makes assembly easier, I leave things so I can add the next bit then twist the pipe tighter and into position.

3) I use whatever wrenches give the best leverage.

4) If there is I never hearted them used. All I ever heard was, "holding back".

5) it doesn't need to be redone unless you go wild moving it back and forth, in which case taking it around one more turn is just as good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks