Black/Gray things + stains in Toto toilet bowl (been only 1yr)

Users who are viewing this thread

darbebo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

this is killing me and maybe i can get some insight from you. Replaced all 3 toilets 1yr ago and maybe half a year ago start noticing the master bathroom having 2 issues. (toilets are Toto Drake II C454CUFG 1 Gal GPF )

This has the cefiotect/glaze but toto says it's not the glaze's issue...

1) random, i mean it, RANDOM stains - easy to remove though, not water stains..
2) floating ...somewhat hairy fiber thing in the bowl, i do not see it in the tank though

Below is the video primarily showing both issues. Note that STAINs comes out randomly, I can clean the bathroom on Monday and Bam it's there Tuesday afternoon or something... so it's not a build-up because its so...easy to remove.

Then no matter how hard i flush, there's still these residual floating things which i have 0 idea what they are. The local plumber blames the water source, Toto blames that too...so I want to know what you guys think.

https://youtu.be/cEZQDJ0EQ7o

Thank you SO MUCH for taking your time to look into this, really frustrated and disappointed.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
toto-bowl-cleaning.jpg

About every two weeks I clean the bowls using a liquid bowl cleaner and a nylon bristle brush.
I've also used the Dawn kitchen detergent in the bowls. I don't know of a bowl that never needs cleaning. I sometimes go to homes with the old five gallon bowls, and there will be a dark murky ring around the bowl that has been there since the 80's.
If you want to evacuate the bowl better sometimes, keep the handle up and it will drain the entire tank for you. I do that every so often.

Last edited:

darbebo

Reaction score
Thanks Terry - I do clean it periodically and I believe(i hope anyways) i can tell the difference between a dark ring that was a caused by built up vs rings/stains that came all of a sudden.

I'm sure you look a look at my video but I would like to point out a 3 things:

1. The stains that I show in the beginning of the video doesn't seem like a stain, it seemed more like sand/mud/something that was not from "I didn't clean it for 2 weeks" - because for it to become this huge area it would have to start somewhere but nope, this thing is just randomly it will be there.

2. As I wiped off the stains and continue to flush, you will notice there are these floating furry things that are not being flushed. I am not sure if this is a flushing issue (not powerful/complete enough).

3. Continuing from #2, even if i do successfully flush them out, give it a couple hours, random ones will appear floating in the bowl again.

Any further insights are really appreciated!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's why every so often I will hold the handle longer and completely flush away as much old water as possible. I watched the video.

I really enjoyed body surfing at Laguna Beach last time I was there.

Last edited:

darbebo

Reaction score
i did, still didn't work ...sigh weird toilet issues

Don't mean to be redundant but guess i'll leave it be in the meantime - thanks Terry!

Reach4

Reaction score
2) floating ...somewhat hairy fiber thing in the bowl, i do not see it in the tank though
I suspect somebody else uses that bathroom.

Tresjoliej

Reaction score
Hi guys,

this is killing me and maybe i can get some insight from you. Replaced all 3 toilets 1yr ago and maybe half a year ago start noticing the master bathroom having 2 issues. (toilets are Toto Drake II C454CUFG 1 Gal GPF )

This has the cefiotect/glaze but toto says it's not the glaze's issue...

Below is the video primarily showing both issues. Note that STAINs comes out randomly, I can clean the bathroom on Monday and Bam it's there Tuesday afternoon or something... so it's not a build-up because its so...easy to remove.

Then no matter how hard i flush, there's still these residual floating things which i have 0 idea what they are. The local plumber blames the water source, Toto blames that too...so I want to know what you guys think.

https://youtu.be/cEZQDJ0EQ7o

Thank you SO MUCH for taking your time to look into this, really frustrated and disappointed.

It is happening in our toilet, too. Not a Toto. There is none in the tank. Another site says it may be sulfur or other bacteria. Don't know what to do.

SAS

Reaction score
We started having a milder version of the same problem in one of four Toto toilets that I installed in our home. The other three are just fine, so I think it's safe to rule out our well water as the cause. I first thought it must be deposits in the tank flowing into the bowl, so I thoroughly cleaned the top tank, even though it was pretty clean already. What my wife noticed was that the little translucent gray things were floating up from the trap, not flowing down from the sides when you flushed. I reached in and cleaned as best I could, but that did not help. Next I used Roebic Bacterial Drain and Trap Cleaner, which is supposedly safe for your septic system as it contains no chlorine or other harsh chemicals. I let that sit overnight per the instructions, but the next morning the problem was significantly lessened but not completely gone. So as a next step I added a few ounces of chlorine bleach to the bowl, poured a tiny bit into the overflow tube in the tank, flushed the toilet and let it sit like that for several hours. Since then, we have had no recurrence, although it's only been a few days.

It could be that the Roebic was sufficient and just needed more time. It could be that the bleach in the bowl (and maybe the overflow) was sufficient. Or it could be that the two in tandem is needed. I can't say. If you have a septic system, I would try the Roebic first, since it's best not to add bleach unnecessarily to your septic. If you are on a municipal sewer, I would probably try the bleach first, since you likely have it on hand already.

Edit: I saw a couple of these little gray floaters and took a closer look. They are coming from the siphon hole in the front of the bowl, not the trap. I used a plastic drain clearing device to clean it as best I could and it dislodged a few more of them.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks