Best way to connect HW Recirc Pump to WH Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

mc-lemons

Reaction score
Hi all,

I plumbed in a ReadyTemp hot water recirc pump to the drain of my water heater. Actually, I did this on 3 water heaters as I am doing a rehab on a tri-plex. The stock drain line stubbing out of the tank has MHT, so I used a FHT to MNPT adapter and attached the various fittings as shown in the photo to get everything connected. After filling the system, I noticed there was a slow leak at all 3 of the FHT to MNPT adapters. I did not use any dope or Teflon tape on the garden hose connection as my understanding is that these should be clean and that the gasket will provide the seal. After taking everything apart, it looks like the gasket was deformed on 1 or 2 or them, so I was thinking that maybe it was overtightened? Or was it undertightened. Hard to say. Then I got to thinking that maybe it's a bad idea to have a garden hose connection in the chain at all.

So here are my questions:
1. Which method is better (a) my original method with a correctly tightened adapter or (b) remove the stock drain stub out and keep all connections NPT.
2. If I remove the stock drain, would that void the warranty? The water heaters are Rheem Hybrids that come with a 10-year warranty, which is a part of the reason I decided on those, so I don't want to do anything that would void that.

Thanks!
Michael

20200523_162506.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks