Bathroom Remodel - First Time

Users who are viewing this thread

rafigso

Reaction score
Good Afternoon! My name is Rafael, I'm new on the board.

This is the first time I've tackled plumbing. I've done everything else around the house, just not plumbing. I may need to do this job to save some money. I've attached some images here for review. This is my first attempt, so go easy on me. Thank you in advance for all advice and direction, it's much appreciated!!

First image shows the old tub drain. I've highlighted in red, what I beleive I should remove. I'm proposing putting a Y fitting in it's place for the double vanity and new shower to use the existing drain.

Second image shows potential drain and venting for the double vanity.

Third image shows the run from the Y to the shower drain.

Does anyone see potential issues here? Will this work?

I've yet to settle on the supply runs, I'm trying to figure out if I really need a pressure loop, did I say that correctly? I'd like a total of 4 water sources, 2 shower heads so the Mrs. and I can shower at same time, a hand held, and a rain head. I don't think I have enough GPM to feed all of this at the same time, it appears that I only have 1/2" pipe in the bathroom and not 3/4. I figure if I never have more than 2 maybe 3 shower heads going at the same time, maybe I'd be ok? Thoughts on this?

Once I feel like I have the drain and vent correctly planned, I'll draw out some pictures for supply lines and post for comment.

Again, thanks in advance for any help/advice you can give me. If you want more pictures, just let me know.

remove.jpgproposed.jpgproposed2.jpg

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks like you have several issues to deal with. Vents for the shower and toilet to name at least two of them. You really should get a plumber involved because there are a number of other things that have to be done correctly to pass inspection.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I see floor joists that have been totally hacked out and are pretty much useless. You need to repair the structural damage first and then worry about the plumbing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If that is a 2" pipe in the background going up the wall, then your tub drain appears to be smaller which means it could be 1 1/2" pipe, in which case it cannot be used for ANYTHING except a single sink drain. The majority of plumbers who do things to the minimum code level would have used a 1 1/2" drain for the tub.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the pipe is a 2", then you can drain the two lavs and the shower.
The lavs can be plumbed using a fixture fitting and combined. The shower needs to be vented correctly; not sure where the shower is from the pictures.
Two shower heads from 1/2" should be fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks