Bath sink - vitreous china or acrylic???

Users who are viewing this thread

scluvsrain

Reaction score
Hi. I'm building a brand new master bathroom (well, the contractor is, not me...) I've NEVER done any kind of home remodel at all and besides the bathroom, I'm tearing down 3 interior walls to open up the kitchen/living and move the master bedroom wall to make the room bigger.

I've gotten to the point of having to pick out 2 bath sinks to go on the custom vanity being built.

I have decided to do a drop in sink as I am going to be doing a ceramic tile counter top and think a drop-in will look better.

I have seen sinks I like that are acrylic, and others that are vitreous china. I'm pretty sure I understand the difference, but wonder which would be better. Does it matter? Is one longer-lasting than the other? Is one easier to keep clean?

Help!!

Sherita

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depends on how careful you are. Acrylic can be damaged by some things you might have in the bathroom, and you can scratch it (it is plastic after all). A china sink has a glass glaze, so is more impervious, but because it is brittle, dropping something hard on it might crack or chip it. A china sink can look new for decades, an acrylic is unlikely to last that long. It is easier to make an acrylic sink in fancy shapes. If the sink you choose has the holes for the faucet in it (as opposed to deck mount), it will feel more substantial on a china sink. If you're thinking of Toto toilets, they also make sinks, and you can get sinks with SanaGlos as well as the toilet, if that matters.

scluvsrain

Reaction score
Thank you for the info. I think based on what you've said, I should probably go with the vitrous china version.

I am getting a Toto Drake toilet, so can look at Toto's sinks, too.

I've seen a couple of Cheviots. Are they a good quality?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks