Basement waste pump draining issue

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Mike101, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Mike101

Mike101 New Member

I installed a Liberty waste pump in basement for toilet to run into city hook up eight feet up. The line is 2 in. sch 40 and wye's into the 2 in sch 40 from kitchen drain upstairs about 16 feet or so down line from the kitchen drain. I'm getting a girgle in kitchen drain when pump runs in basement, nothing is coming up into sink just the girgle. Any direction would be much appreciated. Thanks

drain issue.jpg

2. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    Is the Liberty pump housing vented to the outdoors (It cannot be connected to the house plumbing vent)? How & where is the sink vented? When does the gurgle occur, just as the pump starts, during or after it shuts off? Are there any vents past the wye?

I think air in the pipe is being pushed out and the sink is the only place it can escape to. If the sink uses an AAV, it won't work for this situation.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I could not find anything that says IPC requires a dedicated/exclusive vent for an ejector pump pit.

I did not find that for UPC either.

5. WorthFlorida

Retired
    Read the instructions that came with the pump. Here is one Liberty model. Is there a check valve leaving the pump housing? There might be one already built in. It could be when the pump shuts off, you have a tall column of water in the pipe and without a check valve all that water rushes back down and it maybe pulling air from the sink trap.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/venting-for-basement-lift-system.84520/#post-608230
    https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/sewage-sump-vent.83994/#post-605085
    https://www.libertypumps.com/Portals/0/Files/Install Manuals/7225000.pdf

6. WorthFlorida

Retired
    Sorry about the confusion. Instruction reads;

Vent:
    For both side and vertical discharge systems, the vent size must be
    in accordance with applicable codes, but not less than the
    discharge size.

On vertical discharge models, a threaded 2” or 3” connection is
    provided on top of the cover. The vent must be piped to the
    existing building vent, or extended outside on its own standpipe.

On side discharge models, venting is accomplished through the
    inlet. See Figure 10 for Pro380-SD venting example through the
    inlet pipe as an alternative solution.

Pro-Series systems shipped with steel pipe option have a rubber
    grommet seal on the discharge instead of female NPT
    connections.

7. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

I thought you had to tie into bigger than 2 inch? 4 inch the y should be on top too

8. Mike101

Mike101 New Member

Thanks everyone ... Yep, it's vertical, and vented to an existing standing vent (2 inch.) So, check valve / 4 in wye w 4in to city. I was wondering whether the venting might be obstructed and wet venting at the kitchen sink? But check valve could be it cause like a dummy I put it on vertical line out a few feet above pump with about 4 feet vertical above it before it goes horizontal.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  9. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

Though it was built already? The kitchen should have had a vent but drawing shows no vent there is your problem also when the pumped waste goes to horizontal gravity it should be 4 inch. dont see any wet vent? vent obstruction dont know where that idea came from but if you had a kitchen vent and it was plugged it could cause the gurgling

Mike101 likes this.