Bacteria in well water

Users who are viewing this thread

Djacks

Reaction score
Hello,
We just moved into a rented property and in the lease it says that due to the water testing positive for bacteria we should not drink the water. I struggle with sever anxiety about medical stuff and am now concerned about things like flesh eating bacteria and if it is safe to use the water for brushing teeth, showers, swimming and cleaning my husbands cpap machine.
My question is, how concerned do i need to be about these things??

Reach4

Reaction score
Tell us about the well. Is it a deep well, or what?

If it is a deep well with a submersible pump, it may be that the sampling was not done properly, and the sample was contaminated. However sanitizing the well will probably fix that right up. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my sanitizing write-up. It may be overkill, but I like overkill for this. Your hands probably have bacteria on them now that would show up in a water bacteria test. The grass where woodchucks, rabbits, and dogs roam would test positive for sure.

If you care about the coliform test results, care needs to be taken in sampling. http://www.ugra.org/images/pdf/sampling_handout.pdf has one description of a method to avoid contaminating the sample.

I am not a pro.

In a water report, coliform is less troubling than e. coli. Each could be from bad sampling, but e.coli is more significant. If you roll around on the grass, expect to encounter both. You don't worry about playing on the grass, do you?

It is highly unlikely (I almost never say impossible) that you have your worst fear bacteria lurking in your water.

EDIT: My comments are more aimed at somebody who will live there for a longer while, and who would like to drink the water once it is known to be safe. If I just wanted to take showers etc, I would not worry. Feel free to worry however.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks