Not a good well water test

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I just completed a pretty extensive well water test on my well in Turner, Oregon that was drilled in June of 2019. We are not living at the property and have run the pump only a few times since I installed it. Before the test we ran hundreds of gallons through it and shocked it with bleach. Then we let it sit for several days and ran more water through the system before taking the water samples. The system is bare bones with a small pressure tank, cycle stop valve, and a hose bib. No buildings on the property yet.

Here are the highlights of the well test:
PH 8.71 (high)
Specific Conductance 638 (Indicates hard water and/or high sodium)
Hardness as CaCO3 44 (slightly hard)
Sodium 117.3(high)
Iron, mg/liter: .708 (Elevated Iron level - causes staining)
Total Coliform Bacteria: Present= Unacceptable
E. coli Bacteria: Absent= Acceptable

The numerous other tests like arsenic, chloride, nitrate, etc were either not detected or within acceptable EPA ranges.

There is not much info on the internet on how I should move forward.

How can I sterilize the bacteria since bleach does not work with a high PH level?
Do PH levels change with usage and time?
My neighbors well is 200 feet away(similar depth) and does not have any of my problems. His PH is 5.1.

I need to use the water soon, so any advice on how to move forward is appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Many times it will show positive for Coliform simply because the test sample was contaminated. I would sterilize the faucet and try again. Adding vinegar will lower the PH before adding chlorine.

I will also move this to the softener forum where you should get better help.

Reach4

Reaction score
Weird on the pH difference from your neighbor. I suggest you get a pH meter. You can use that as part of your sanitizing process, and also use it to re-check your pH. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my well sanitizing write-up.

A positive coliform well water test can be the result of your sampling techniques. But sanitizing is still a good idea, because it will take care of all bacteria.

Reaction score
I'll resample the water to make sure I don't have a bad test.
Thanks for the info Reach4.

Has anyone used the product Sterilene for a high PH well?
See attached product file.

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• Sterilene_TDS_English.pdf
    96 KB · Views: 77

Reach4

Reaction score
Interesting. I had made some incorrect guesses as to what that might be made of.

I had not noticed Sodium dichloroisocyanurate dehydrate before reading the MDS/MSDS.

I did not come to a conclusion as to which would be better for well sanitizing.

Reaction score
I wanted to post an update on my well water dilemma. I did another test and it was positive again for Coliform. I bought Sterilene and a used food-grade 275-gallon tote. After rinsing the tote several times I premixed 650 gallons(tote filled 3 times) of water with Sterilene and gravity flowed it into the well per the Sterilene instructions. This forces the solution into the aquifer. Then I circulated(looped) the well water with a garden hose dumping it into the top of the well casing. Next, I purged the water lines and let the chemical sit overnight. I took another water sample to the lab and it finally tested negative for Coliform!

Reach4

Reaction score
Good deal. That is similar to the flooding volume in my write-up, but you used a bigger dose of treated water. 650 gallons is some serious volume.

Reaction score
The directions say to use 2X the well water volume. Mine is a 6" well 243' deep with a 25' static water level. They want the calculation at 3 gallons a foot times the well depth. Works out to about 654 gallons. The mix is at 100ppm. The chemical usage is .0015 pounds per gallon, which worked out to .981 pounds. Sterilene will oxidize soluble minerals in the water. It turned the water a pukey caramel color. I wasn't prepared for that.o_O

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks