Auto Shut Off Tank Fill Valves?

Users who are viewing this thread

Geek

Reaction score
Why do plumbing professionals not use, recommend, or often even know about auto shut off fill valves? I've called numerous plumbers and supply shots and they don't even seem to know what I'm talking about.

I'm baffled. Even modern toilets use this crude flapper mechanism from the 1700s. Eventually, you'll get a slow leak, unhooked or stuck open flapper (e.g., kid or guest pulls handle too hard, unhooking the flapper or rotating the lever too high). If this happens unnoticed before a vacation, your toilet could be running for weeks, or worse, overflows. How many times do you see people with signs on their toilets ("flush gently", or "shake handle if water doesn't turn off")?

Solutions exist, but the plumbing industry doesn't seem to care. Is there a conflict of interest?
Fill valves that automatically shut off if there's too much constant flow exist. How can I find a plumber who will recommend and install one? Or is piston flush better way to go?

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you referring to something like https://www.fluidmaster.com/pro-series-products/fill-valves/400ls-universal-fill-valve-leak-sentry/ Fluidmaster LEAK SENTRY? That will guard against a slow flapper leak, but it will not stop a flood. Or are you leading up to telling us about your product with sensor that shuts down water to the house?

Some cautious people turn off the water to the house before going on vacation. That guards against burst hoses too.

Some people unplug appliances they are not using.

Last edited:

Geek

Reaction score
@Reach4, yes. There are a number of these. I have a few installed in my house. When a plumber sees one, they don't even know what it is. They won't support it. They want to remove it and put a dumb valve back in. WHY? I have to wonder if it's self-serving -- Is the plumbing industry really motivated to minimize your plumbing problems?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not all are open to 'new' things...they have a way they do things, and are not willing to deal with anything different. There's something to keeping it simple, though. Yes, it's possible to get some major damage if something fails, but the things are really pretty reliable, and that's what insurance is for.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The other reason people don't use them is that they are often balky and prissy. Korky made one (and may still make it), but it's wildly-unpopular. Fluidmaster makes one as well. And, as noted, there are the "whole house" shutoffs, which basically just interfere with your water usage without a lot of benefit. (How long is long-enough flow? If I and somebody else take overlapping 10-15 minute showers, the water will turn off. But if you set it to an hour of flow, your house is gonna be pretty-wet by the time it shuts off.) Turning off the main water when you're going away is still probably the most-reasonable solution.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
If your going to shut your main valve as suggested you will want to shut off the gas fired boiler and gas fired water heater and make sure all traps have water in them prior just shutting the main and leaving

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks