Are Flexible Lines Against Code In Michigan For Water Heaters? IPC 2006

Users who are viewing this thread

Kiko

Reaction score
I'm considering replacing my HW Tank (40 gal), but only if I can convert the rigid copper water lines and galvanized gas line to flexible. I was told by someone that flex lines are against code in Michigan. Does anyone know for sure if they are, and if so, why?

IPC 2006 and Michigan Plumbing Code 2006

I believe you MUST use flex lines in other states, like California, so how could it be AGAINST code in Michigan? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Some codes are fond of hard pipe...for many reasons, which may include union influence. Don't know MI. Do you have earthquakes??

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
It is against code to use a flexible gas line in Maryland for a WH because we do not get earthquakes.

I had to change mine back to ridig black iron pipe because of this.

I like the unions. They maintain workers' rights which are often sadly lacking in this country.

Kiko

Reaction score
There was an earthquake in Canada recently that was felt in Michigan, but we don't get many.

As for the plumbing code, I tried to look it up, but I couldn't find where they either permitted or prohibited the use of flex lines. That is why I asked the question.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Call your local plumbing inspector, ask him or her. They will be more than happy to tell you what is required to change out your water heater. Here in Illinois it is code to hard pipe the water heater.

ChuckS

Reaction score
I like the unions. They maintain workers' rights which are often sadly lacking in this country.

Yep, they are getting a bad rep these days while big money is using illegal labor to force the unions out. Union representation is down to 7% from a high of 30%.

This is why the Repubs don't want immigration reform, they can pay them what ever they want while their illegal since they're afraid to complain or ask for a fair wage. If Congress would pass immigration reform, the illegals would become legal and we'd all make a fair wage (no more cheap labor pool).

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
SewerRatz has the best answer to the original question. Local regulations trump everything else. Flex lines vs hard plumbing seem to be very much locally legislated. Some places require flex, other require hard plumbing. We can debate and argue both sides of the issue, but in the end it is local rules that must be followed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks