Appliance regulators for 2psi gas service

Users who are viewing this thread

Giantsean

Reaction score
I'm putting in some new return ducts to improve our HVAC system, currently working the basement. Last night I disassembled a duct which revealed the gas piping to our laundry room. I was surprised to see that the gas dryer line was completely devoid of a regulator (I know for sure there is not one in the room itself). This might not be a problem save that we have 2psi service in the house (CSST, confirmed it is 2psi - labels all over the meter and reg outside).

There is very little documented in the manual for this unit (Electrolux) as to max inlet pressure... I assume it is expecting the typical 5-7" WC. That said, it has been working fine for six years. Maybe it has a built in regulator? (the parts diagram just calls it a "gas valve")

I plan on having a regulator installed while there is access, but I do wonder if there has been a net effect on the dryer other than tempting fate all this time. I know 2psi is relatively rare in many areas, but has anyone seen a similar situation where an appliance is getting too much pressure?

Giantsean

Reaction score
Thanks.. it's very interesting as you'd think it would either work poorly or not work at all in the best case, or much worse in the worst case. Someone elsewhere pointed this out from the manual and I didn't realize the significance until now:

From Electrolux dryer install manual.....
6. The dryer MUST be disconnected from the gas supply piping system during any pressure testing of the gas supply piping system at test pressures in excess of 1/2 psig (3.45 kPa).
7. The dryer MUST be isolated from the gas supply piping system during any pressure testing of the gas supply piping system at test pressures equal to or less than 1/2 psig (3.45 kPa).

Assuming that means whatever plumbing the appliance has will not be happy at more than 13-14" WC. Doubly odd as I can not see a regulator on this entire path from the meter to the appliance. Is it possible that my 2psi service is a lie? Otherwise I should either be in perpetually wet clothes, or on fire right now :p

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks