Any problems mixing Salt with Roundup for weed killing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Care/Landscaping' started by tracyballard, Apr 30, 2019.

1. tracyballard

tracyballard Member

Trying to permanently kill weeds and anything else growing in certain areas of my alley and sidewalks. Would it cause any toxic hazards if I mix salt and roundup to apply all at once? thanks in advance

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Not a toxic hazard, but Roundup is for short term killing. You can use roundup (without salt) and plant few days later.

For longer term crack etc killing, you would be better to use vegetation killer designed for that.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    Regular Roundup takes two weeks for a full kill, root and all. No reason to add salt, however using salt alone will kill everything but a longer while for the salt to leach out of the soil. Roundup does not kill seeds. Roundup comes in all kinds of Glyphosate concentrate. The higher the concentrate percentage, the higher cost. Glyphosate is now available in generic formulas. Most herbicides of other brands will be glyphosate and at any level of concentrate.

Roundup Quick Pro: It's the Diquat that make it a 24 hour kill
    ACTIVE INGREDIENTS:
    *Glyphosate, N-(phosphonomethyl)glycine, in the form of its ammonium salt.......... 73.3% .
    Diquat dibromide [6,7-dihydrodipyrido (1,2-a:2’,1’-c) pyrazinediium dibromide] ...... 2.9%
    OTHER INGREDIENTS: ............................................................................................... 23.8%

5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The only two members of my family that liked using Roundup are now dead. The rest of us are okay though.

6. BucklandStephanie

BucklandStephanie New Member

I can't say exactly how toxic these substances are, but I wouldn't use them. You understand that any chemical substance is toxic to the skin, respiratory system and health in general. I think even gloves and a mask don't provide 100 percent protection. The choice is yours, but I personally use a trimmer for pruning and caring for weeds, especially those that grow on top and on the sides. I can advise you to read about an alternative version of pain with weeds https://trimthatweed.com/string/ if you are also, like me, against toxic substances.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  7. Sarg

Sarg Enjoy Learning

Recently retired
    Just read this tip yesterday to replace "Round-up".
    It was on Facebook so it must be true.
    In sprayer :
    Mix one gallon vinegar ( Heinz makes a hi-acid white vinegar available at grocery stores )
    2 cups of Epsom salt
    1/4 cup of Dawn dish soap

The claim is it will kill any vegetation it is sprayed on.

Weed be gone.jpg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  8. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    Vinegar is acidic that will wilt plants. It doesn't kill off the roots.

Epson salt is not salt, it magnesium, sulfur and oxygen. Good for plants, especially palms that turn yellow for lack magnesium. Just look at a bag of palm fertilizers and other shrubbery plant fertilizers. Some are all magnesium. The chemical supplier I used to buy from sold epson salt in 50 bags. South Florida is about 50% palm trees and you'll see many with yellow palms.

Dawn acts as a surfactant to break down the water repellency of the top part of the leaf surface.

9. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Semi-Retired
    I use muriatic acid as it is cheaper and available in higher concentrations. Be careful near concrete as it will etch it. To keep weeds off of my gravel driveway, I put down calcium chloride flakes. Sometimes I dissolve it in muriatic acid and water for faster action.

10. Sarg

Sarg Enjoy Learning

Recently retired