Any problems mixing Salt with Roundup for weed killing?

Users who are viewing this thread

tracyballard

Reaction score
Trying to permanently kill weeds and anything else growing in certain areas of my alley and sidewalks. Would it cause any toxic hazards if I mix salt and roundup to apply all at once? thanks in advance

Reach4

Reaction score
Not a toxic hazard, but Roundup is for short term killing. You can use roundup (without salt) and plant few days later.

For longer term crack etc killing, you would be better to use vegetation killer designed for that.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Regular Roundup takes two weeks for a full kill, root and all. No reason to add salt, however using salt alone will kill everything but a longer while for the salt to leach out of the soil. Roundup does not kill seeds. Roundup comes in all kinds of Glyphosate concentrate. The higher the concentrate percentage, the higher cost. Glyphosate is now available in generic formulas. Most herbicides of other brands will be glyphosate and at any level of concentrate.

Roundup Quick Pro: It's the Diquat that make it a 24 hour kill
ACTIVE INGREDIENTS:
*Glyphosate, N-(phosphonomethyl)glycine, in the form of its ammonium salt.......... 73.3% .
Diquat dibromide [6,7-dihydrodipyrido (1,2-a:2’,1’-c) pyrazinediium dibromide] ...... 2.9%
OTHER INGREDIENTS: ............................................................................................... 23.8%

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
Just read this tip yesterday to replace "Round-up".
It was on Facebook so it must be true.
In sprayer :
Mix one gallon vinegar ( Heinz makes a hi-acid white vinegar available at grocery stores )
2 cups of Epsom salt
1/4 cup of Dawn dish soap

The claim is it will kill any vegetation it is sprayed on.

Weed be gone.jpg

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Vinegar is acidic that will wilt plants. It doesn't kill off the roots.

Epson salt is not salt, it magnesium, sulfur and oxygen. Good for plants, especially palms that turn yellow for lack magnesium. Just look at a bag of palm fertilizers and other shrubbery plant fertilizers. Some are all magnesium. The chemical supplier I used to buy from sold epson salt in 50 bags. South Florida is about 50% palm trees and you'll see many with yellow palms.

Dawn acts as a surfactant to break down the water repellency of the top part of the leaf surface.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Vinegar is acidic that will wilt plants.
I use muriatic acid as it is cheaper and available in higher concentrations. Be careful near concrete as it will etch it. To keep weeds off of my gravel driveway, I put down calcium chloride flakes. Sometimes I dissolve it in muriatic acid and water for faster action.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks