(Another) Pressure tank drawdown question, new tank install

Users who are viewing this thread

FingerLakes

Reaction score
I just installed a new WaterWorker HT86b 86gal diaphragm pressure tank. All new hardware, tank T, valves, gauge etc.
Measuring by running the garden hose into 5 gal buckets, I am getting approximately 18 gal drawdown.
The spec sheet for the tank says drawdown is 26 gal at 30/50 and 23 gal at 40/60.

I am using a 30/50 switch adjusted a little to 33/53 cut in/out.
The air pressure in the tank is set to 31psi, or pretty close. I used two different tire gauges and got the same reading so I think it is fairly accurate.
My submersible pump is 10gpm and it cycles for 2min 30 sec to fill the tank.

I dont expect the drawdown to be exactly 26 gal, but is 18 way off? Should I be troubleshooting to chase down a few more gal of drawdown and where would I start to do that? Or should I just be happy with the tank as is? Everything with the tank and water pressure in the house is functioning good.
I am leaning to leaving well (no pun entended) enough alone since this is a huge improvement over the 4-5 gal drawdown I got from my last tank.

Thought or recommendations?

Thanks for your help.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
My calculator shows 25.41 gallons with a 33/53 switch.

You say "approximately 18 gallons" and the company is probably exaggerating their estimate. 2 minutes 30 seconds is a good run time and means a 10 GPM pump is putting 25 gallons in the tank. With a 5 GPM demand like a sprinkler running for hours or all day, that would be a cycle every 10 minutes, which is still 144 cycles per day. That is much better than the 300+ cycles you would get with a 20 gallon size tank, but still not good for the pump.

The tank size and draw down amount becomes a moot point when a Cycle Stop Valve is added. The same 5 GPM demand that would cause 144 cycles per day with an 86 gallon tank or 300+ cycles a day with a 20 gallon tank would only cause ONE cycle per day with a CSV, no matter what size tank you have.

FingerLakes

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply Valveman.

I am just trying to determine if 18 gal drawdown is "normal" for this tank which the mfg says could be as much as 26 gal drawdown. I will contact the mfg directly and ask them next. I said "approximately 18 gallons" because i did not measure the amount precisely but used 4 buckets and eyeballed the measurement a bit. If I should be getting more drawdown, I'd like to know how to go about it.
I am happy with the performance at present but just want to get another opinion. Does anyone have any thoughts on this part?

I understand the 2.5 minute pump cycle is good and it is probably pumping 20-21 gal to the tank. I did not mention before but this is a drainback system so there is a delay for the water to reach the tank while it fills the pipe run and expels air through a valve just before the tank. My previous system was the old fashioned air over water tank which was functional. I upgraded the system solely to gain a higher drawdown and save wear on my 2yr old pump.

I have read about the CSV valves and they seem useful for many applications. I did not think I needed one for mine. Mine is a 2 person household. I dont have a sprinkler system. Where a CSV valve would benefit me most is when watering the garden i guess, or filling the hot tub, but that is at most 3 times a year for the hot tub. Would a CSV valve be functional if I placed it in line before my garden hose spigot? Or must it be installed before the pressure tank?

Thanks.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Pump systems will work fine without a CSV. They will just work much better and last much longer when using a CSV. Yes, the CSV must go before the pressure tank/switch, and before any hydrants or tees in the main line. The CSV will really help when watering the garden, filling a pool, or other things like that. But the CSV will also give you strong constant pressure in the showers and make appliances fill faster and work better. The soft start/stop when using a CSV helps no matter how the water is being used. The drain back system will require a little larger tank than usual with a CSV, but will make a few gallons of draw down a moot point.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks