Alcove tub with Gap

Users who are viewing this thread

PMX

Reaction score
I've seen a number of answers around this indicating that furring out might be the best solution, but we're trying to think about other options.

Here's the situation:

We have a 3 sided alcove tub that was not meant to be a "DIY" solution. The plumbers have done a craptastic job, so we're now working on solving for the problems that have been left at our doorstep.

As a description:
Standing in the doorway to the bathroom, our vanities are to the right and to the left is a 3 sided alcove tub. The far side of the tub is where the drain & plumbing is.

If you turn 90 degrees to the left and face the bathtub, the wall that is now to the left has the problem and it also has the doorway plus a counter top depth behind you with sink.

Now that I've confused everyone, the problem is as follows:

The wall on the left has a gap from the tub that is too large for the 1/2 inch durarock to be set over the flange. The gap from the studs is .75" at the close end of the tub and 1.25" on the far end of the tub.

view

( I can't make the image loader work so ..)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B8K-6oxwoZKZsSDeqsHMz5cJjCayDtzg/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RLkh_HbJ4UG28uWbqTLWD0hy9VMtRpS5/view?usp=sharing
view

I get that we could fur out to get it working, but I foresee a potential issue and I'd like to see if there are any suggestions.

If we fur out by the tub (and then a little beyond for the rest of the tile), how do we solve for the fact that the wall by the tub is now around 1" thicker than the rest of that same wall without having to rip out the whole wall and make it all match? Is there a solution for that?

I'm open to any other suggestions on how this should actually be solved.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
" If we fur out by the tub (and then a little beyond for the rest of the tile), how do we solve for the fact that the wall by the tub is now around 1" thicker than the rest of that same wall without having to rip out the whole wall and make it all match? Is there a solution for that? "
I deal with situations like this all the time. You fur out around the tub only, and drywall from the door jamb to the tub. Then tile the 3/4" @ 90* to the side of the tub.
Maybe I'm not so perfect with words, but you need an experienced carpenter to do the furring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks